do i need to delete back ground apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Oct 18, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

is there any point, will it speed up or save memory as long as there is no GPS arrow on top of the screen

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

They aren't running in the background actually.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

some would say yes to delete, but they aren't running so its not necessary. i for one always do when my iPhone is about to die so i can calibrate the battery.

4. IcyStorm macrumors regular

Your most recently opened apps may still be running a task or two in the background (through iOS's multitasking APIs), so if you're done using them, you may want to kill them. Sometimes I open an app that uses the GPS, and when I press the home button, the location services icon is still active. Eventually as you open other apps or use more memory, they'll be killed automatically.

5. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Well I usually closed them lol , can't stand looking at them all the time and you might want to closed them if there no working properly, I had problems with the camera sometimes and if I closed it it works next time I open it

6. doboy macrumors 68000

Technically, you only need to kill them from multitask tray if the app keeps crashing or misbehaving. However, I used to kill them when using iPad 1 to free up RAM faster rather than waiting for the system to free it up when needed. I don't even bother killing them on my iPad 2 since it has more memory.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Just to add, iOS will automatically "close" apps as needed over time to free up memory. If you open 25 different apps in the course of a week, at the end of the week, you will see the icons of the apps you opened on Monday in the multitasking dock, but those apps are long gone from the operating memory...apps that you were logged into will again require log in...games will restart from the splash screen, etc.