Do i need to delete Bootcamp partitions before restoring Carbon Copy Cloner Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RWGUK, Mar 22, 2015.

1. RWGUK macrumors newbie

Hello - anyone familiar with this scenario?

I created a Carbon Copy Clone on the very first day I had my iMac. So it was created almost immediately after the initial boot of a brand new iMac. I then stored the clone drive away, in case I ever needed to restore my Mac to that initial Day 1 state.

That day has come, but its now two years, and in that time I have installed BOOTCAMP, Parallels and Windows 7. That process creates another partition, and creates the required 'links' between my OSX and Windows via Parallels etc.

So my question is this - will my original clone still work, or will it be now totally confused because of the changes I have made to my system in that time.

I also used TIME MACHINE from Day 1 too. Am I better restoring it to my Day 1 state using that instead?

(My system is iMac late 2012 still running OSX Mountain Lion AND by the way - its a FUSION Drive - if that makes any difference)

Thanks in advance

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I'm not a BootCamp expert, but...

Since BC is on a separate partition, I believe you can just use CCC to "re-clone" your -original clone- back to the existing Mac partition, BUT...

... remember that once you do this, your Mac partition will look "just as it was", and your virtual machines -- and all other software changes you made "since the beginning" -- will be gone.

That is, your Mac partition will be restored "as it was", not as it is today...