Do i need to enable macbook firewall?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shitoyama, Sep 24, 2011.

1. shitoyama macrumors member

Do i need to enable macbook firewall?i notice after i enable it my internet speed slows down.

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Yes. It protects you from unauthorized access to your computer.

3. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Only if you're not hard connected to a trusted network that has a physical firewall.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you're behind a hardware firewall such as any router available, you don't need to enable the software OS X firewall. It doesn't hurt to have it on, but it's not necessary.

If you go and use public WiFi or another network, you'd be wise to enable it.

Either way, having it enabled shouldn't affect your speed so much where you can notice it.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

You don't need it... I've used my MBP for two years on home routers and public wifi with no problems. But I enabled it a while ago and I haven't noticed any diff in performance. So you may as well enable it. Why not when it doesn't sacrifice anything?

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Please disable your firewall...I need to hack your MBP.... :)

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If you're behind a firewall such as a router you're usually fine. However I'd recommend enabling the OS X software firewall also.