do i need to enable trim on my samsung 830 ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onions, Dec 29, 2011.

1. onions macrumors member

i just installed the ssd, 16 gigs of ram, and data doubler. i'm cloning the os and apps over as i type this. the million dollar question is: do i need to enable trim on the ssd with the terminal trick?

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I don't think you have to. Since I install the 830 I had only once froze!

3. bvanlieu macrumors member

Have to? Absolutely not.

Want to? Up to you. Its a new product and field knowledge is still being assembled. I run Snow Kitty and have not enabled any trim. I have not had any freezes. So far so good.

I have not noticed any performance loss at all for my usage. I occasionally run AJA disk test just to see and it benchmarks the same. Not exhaustive, but good enough for me.

- b

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Does the samsung SSD handle garbage collection? Any drive that has that feature, you generally not want to enable TRIM since its more or less doing it for you.

If the Samsung drive does not have garbage collection then TRIM is a nice feature to enable

5. gsilver macrumors member

I ended up enabling trim on my 830. I wasn't having any noticeable performance issues, but my benchmarks started dropping a few weeks after installing. My drive benches a ton better now. But benchmarks are not the end all of performance.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It seems like this is a coincidence. Even if you never enabled TRIM and assuming the garbage collection (GC) in the SSD sucked, all that would ever happen is your write speeds would slow some. Your read speeds would never change from lack of TRIM or GC. If your drive is only a few weeks old you have likely not used it enough that a TRIM problem would manifest itself yet anyway.

7. Acejam2k macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

TRIM is not required for the 830, but I've enabled it on mine anyways.

I highly suggest a clean install of Lion instead of copying partitions. If you insist on cloning the disk, be sure to copy the recovery partition over too.

8. onions thread starter macrumors member

i actually cloned over my snow leopard install from my previous mbp. i left trim off for now. everything flies on this machine. now if only the optibay port can handle sata iii drives....

9. unfufu macrumors newbie

It does, with an addon, OptiBay something, but you need to feel comfortable opening up your macbook pro and follow instructions ;)

Although, my dl speeds are worse(?) since I patched in TRIM enabler on both my 830 and Octane. Unraring is ridiculously fast, but torrenting which used to max the network link to full speed 10MB/S no problem on my old Intel 510, is now never coming higher then ~999KB/S.

Or perhaps I am getting throttled somehow?

Anyone else experienced this? :)