Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Hello. I'm going to get an iPod Shuffle next time I get to the store. I know from friend's ipod's that they come with the iPod Software/iTunes CD. I already have iTunes on my iBook & PC w/XP. Do I need to install the CD when I get it? If I look in my running processes on XP it shows iTunes.exe and iPodService.exe. This leads me to believe that it doesn't need to be installed.

I know from helping friends that when you install from the CD that it gives you options of if you want it to automatically put random songs on it when it's plugged in. Can I set that from iTunes if I don't use the CD?

Basically, will I be missing anything if I don't install the CD on the XP PC? I know it will work on my iBook.

Thanks!

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
You need iTunes 4.7.1 and the most recent iPod Updater.

If you have those already...

then no!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Does the iPod Updater come with newest iTunes, because I have the newest iTunes on both computers. What does the iPod Updater do, exactly? I want to be able to drag songs to it manually, not have it do it's little "random" thing. :)

AppleAce

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
USA
ITASOR said:
Does the iPod Updater come with newest iTunes, because I have the newest iTunes on both computers. What does the iPod Updater do, exactly? I want to be able to drag songs to it manually, not have it do it's little "random" thing. :)

The iPod Updater updates the firmware on the iPod, it doesn't have anything to do with what songs you have on it.
iTunes is the only app you need to use to put songs on your iPod, you can set it to automatically sync with your iPod with your iTunes library (this is the default setting) or you can manage the songs manually.

Edit: Just realized you said you were getting a shuffle. The same advice still applies, but it obviously won't sync your entire library to your shuffle. You can either put whatever songs you want on it manually, or have iTunes "autofill" it.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
So, you're saying I do need to install the CD to get the iPod Updater. It won't like install iTunes over my version and mess up my songs will it?

Does the regular Apple.com/iTunes download include iPod Updater?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ITASOR said:
So, you're saying I do need to install the CD to get the iPod Updater. It won't like install iTunes over my version and mess up my songs will it?

Does the regular Apple.com/iTunes download include iPod Updater?

No, it doesn't. However, you can download the iPod Updater by itself, at:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

Also, on your Mac (but not your PC), if you have been accepting all updates from Software Updater, then the latest iPod Updater will be sitting on your hard drive in:

/applications/utilities/ipod software updater.localized

(It's the one with the date 03/25/2005, as of today.) If you haven't accepted the option in Software Update, you can also get it by running Software Update, and clicking the checkbox next to the line in the window for the iPod Software Updater with the same date. :)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, on the mac I always do all the updates. Can someone tell me how this Updater works? Like does it automatically update firmware or do you have to like run it?

Thanks for the links!

EDIT: I just installed it. It looks like I just download these once and a while and plug my ipod in, and use this program to update it. Did I get that right? I'm guessing this has nothing to do with being able to put songs on it, but you don't want an outdated firmware version.

So basically, the CD just installs this iPod Updater, and then install's iTunes and let's you set basic options. Of which I can do by plugging in the ipod, canceling it's autofill thing and then changing it in the preferences.

Let me know if I got anything wrong there....thanks. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ITASOR said:
Yeah, on the mac I always do all the updates. Can someone tell me how this Updater works? Like does it automatically update firmware or do you have to like run it?

Thanks for the links!

It is not automatic. You run it, and then it gives you the option of either updating the software on the iPod, or reformatting it. You click one of the buttons, and it does its stuff. The iPod, natch, has to be plugged in at the time. ;)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Is it better to reformat the ipod when it's brand new? Or does it come formatted with the newest firmware?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Haha since I keep asking this, would it be better to just install the CD? I just don't want to mess up the itunes i already have.

Does the CD search the net for the newest firmware?

This is confusing o_O... :confused:

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
ITASOR said:
Haha since I keep asking this, would it be better to just install the CD? I just don't want to mess up the itunes i already have.

Does the CD search the net for the newest firmware?

This is confusing o_O... :confused:

DUDE, if u have itunes version 4.7.1 ur GOOD... no need for cd or ne thing else.. how do u find out if u hab this version? go to itunes.. nd click on help.. about itunes.. if u don't hab that version.. GO TO APPLE.COM nd dl it.. ENJOY

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
CubaTBird said:
DUDE, if u have itunes version 4.7.1 ur GOOD... no need for cd or ne thing else.. how do u find out if u hab this version? go to itunes.. nd click on help.. about itunes.. if u don't hab that version.. GO TO APPLE.COM nd dl it.. ENJOY

I posed the link to the latest iPod Firmware Updater if you are concerned.

To clarify:
There should be no issues if you have iTunes 4.7.1 and the latest iPod Firmware Updater.

Read their respective webpages if you do not know what they do.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
when i got my shuffle, i just plugged it in and went from there, i dont ever bother with the cds because i know i have the latest updates as it is

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.