Do I need to keep my OSX Leopard Disc?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matthewjhawkins, Aug 1, 2011.

1. matthewjhawkins macrumors newbie

Is there any need to keep the OSX Leopard disc if I have since then upgraded to snow leopard, and then to Lion? I have the original tiger discs that came with my MBP.

Any reason I still need these?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I had a wiped HDD episode when installing RAM in my mini and the Apple support guy insisted I use my original Leopard discs when I was having trouble finding my Snow Leopard DVD. If I had been able to lay my hands on my SL disc, I would never have wasted time installing Leopard on the wiped drive but it was nice to have an "extra" set of install discs in a pinch. I would consider Leopard discs to be a backup for your SL disc and hold on to them for that purpose alone. Now that you are at Lion, I suggest you make a Lion USB so it becomes your secondary recovery method. Here is a rundown of recovery media in today's OS X world:

1 - Lion recovery partition. Nice unless your whole HDD somehow got wiped.

2 - Lion recovery USB. Make your own or buy from Apple for $69.

3 - Snow Leopard DVD.

4 - Original OS disc that came with your Mac. Last resort but still nice to have in a pinch.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Is there any need to keep the OSX Leopard disc if I have since then upgraded to snow leopard, and then to Lion?"

How much room does a system DVD take up?

I believe it's a good idea to keep ALL your old system software discs -- you never know when you might need to reach for one (or help someone else looking for one).

I still have floppy disks back to System 4.3 or something like that (back in 1987). Even though I don't have a drive to put them in any more!

4. matthewjhawkins thread starter macrumors newbie

its not a space issue, i can get a few dollars if I sell it on ebay.

5. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I recommend you hold onto it, so that if you ever sell your Mac in the future, you can get a few bucks that way instead. In fact, I dare say that you can earn more bucks that way rather than putting it up standalone on eBay.

6. simsaladimbamba

No need to keep it then, I bought my MB with Leopard and sold it with Snow Leopard.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie