Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Title says all. Do I need to store whatever images I'm using for my desktop backgrounds, or can I trash them?

Thanks in advance.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Keep it around. While the system may be able to remember the image if you delete it, I've found that periodically and very rarely it will forget it, and if you don't have the image stored somewhere you'll have to track it down again to reset it as your background.

Vairamuthu

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Joburg
Once you set the image as background you can Trash it . The background won't change until you change with a new image.

You need to back it up if you need the old background image.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Put the desktop images into your home folder inside the "pictures" folder (let them stay "loose" inside, i.e., not in any other folder).

They will be "off the desktop", but still there for safekeeping...

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Title says all. Do I need to store whatever images I'm using for my desktop backgrounds, or can I trash them?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, because even though the system will cache the wallpaper, you still should back it up in case you want to change it etc. Wallpaper shouldn't take up too much space, so IMO you shouldnt worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.