Do I need to keep the stock hard drive after upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ariesfeng, Oct 24, 2010.

1. ariesfeng macrumors member

Hello!

I just upgraded my mid-2009 Macbook Pro HD to 500GB. My brother is asking for the stock hard drive that the new 500 GB replaced.

My MBP is still covered by Apple's warranty until early next year. I am wondering if I need to keep the stock hard drive until the warranty expires? Do I need to put the stock hard drive back before I send it in for repair?

Thanks!

2. jagger27 macrumors member

Yes, you would need to keep the stock hard drive if you were to send it in for repair. Hopefully you wouldn't need to. It boils down to how lucky you feel. ;)

3. DJ-R macrumors regular

I kept all my HDDs but I'm not sure about RAM and HDD.

You don't need to reinstall the original RAM or HDD for service. They could or not part of the warranty. They will cover those RAM and HDD coming from them but it's not necessary to keep them when you got upgrades.

But they won't cover the upgrades you got.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

5. ariesfeng thread starter macrumors member

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

No, you don't need to keep the drive. Most put them in an enclosure and use as a storage/back-up drive.

When I brought in my 2008 MBP for repair they noted my drive had been changed, and told me the drive is my responsibility if anything is to go wrong with it. It did not void my Applecare.

7. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Hard Drive and Memory upgrades are "supported user upgrades" as far as waranty and Apple Care go. Meaning, you can upgrade them and not void your support. Of course, Apple will not take responsibility for your upgraded components.

8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

One possible disadvantage is that if you sent the MBP in for repair, and they decided to replace the entire laptop, say good-bye to your new 500GB drive.

9. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Definetly keep the stock harddrive like others have said, if it has to be repaired you can place it back in.