Do I need to optimise a newly installed SSD in any way?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zedsdead185, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

So I've installed a new crucial v4 256gb drive into my mid 2009 MBP after the original Hard Drive failed. Luckily I've restored from a time machine backup so haven't lost anything, but obviously it was previously installed on a Hard drive. I was just wondering if there were any things I need to set up in OSX in order to optimise the SSD's performance or maintenance and such? These things are pretty new to me and I just want to make sure.

I have already found an app called trim enabler and installed it because I heard TRIM is only enabled by default in mac os x to macs with a factory installed SSD. Is there anything else that I should do?

thanks

2. Obsidian6, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

You could download this app from: http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322 which is called "TRIM Enabler" I have the M4 256GB and I can confirm this app will enable TRIM support within the OS.

3. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Yes. Put all your things on it. Stop worrying. Make backups regularly. Enjoy.

4. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

couldn't have said it better :D

5. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hah! Thanks, I think thats all I needed to hear ;) I'll begin enjoying it straight away :D

6. hakuin macrumors regular

Check it has the latest firmware and update if it hasn't. Details on Crucial website.

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Apart from Trim-enabler you may also want to change the sleep setting to avoid RAM writing to the hard-drive each time you sleep. Google the terminal command.

You also may want to extend the time to put the "hard-drive" to sleep in energy preferences to enable more garbage collection during idle periods.