Do I need to put my old hdd in before getting repairs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gsfgf, May 9, 2009.

1. gsfgf macrumors member

I have a vanilla macbook, and I upgraded the hard drive. Now that school's out (briefly), I want to send it in to get the broken CD drive replaced. I have two questions. One, will Apple refuse to repair the CD drive if they notice I have the new hard drive in there? Second, will they format my hard drive? I haven't had to send a mac in for service before, but I figure if they are gonna format my drive, I can swap hard drives faster than I can restore from Time Machine when it gets back.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

If the hard drive is not meant to be user serviceable, ie you can not get to it without removing screws and parts of computer, then you should put the original one back in.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What Mac, other than the mini, has a nonuser replaceable hard disk?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I recommend putting your old drive back in.

I have read stories, where the repaired Mac came home with another drive (the one that was supposed to be in there) when the users exchanged it themselves or having the original amount of RAM, when the users upgraded it themselves.

Also, you don't want anyone have access to your data, do you?

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

an old one! (but still covered by applecare)
    I was just making the point for any future thread trawlers

6. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

The pre-unibody Macbook Pro's did not have user replaceable hard drives. In fact, they're a major PIA to replace the hard drive on.

7. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

No, you don't have to. Not doing so would be extremely unwise, however. Should Apple figure that the HDD is the issue, they swap it out with their standard HDD that came with the unit. I am unaware if they do indeed send the "defective" item back with the computer.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Putting the original HDD back in there removes all doubt that you caused the hardware problem by putting in a new HDD. Not to mention the fact that when they wipe the drive you don't have to make sure your backup works when you get it back. You pop the drive back in and you are good to go rather than going through time machine.