Carrier Do I need to re-provision iPad on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mtneer, May 18, 2014.

1. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I purchased a Verizon iPad rMini in January which I subsequently activated and used pre-paid month-to-month plans. A few weeks ago, I stopped auto renew on my Verizon prepaid account and jumped to purchase a T-Mobile SIM to get on their 200MB per month plan. The T-Mobile SIM did not work right away, I had to call them and get the iPad provisioned on T-Mobile overnight.

Now, I am wondering if I have to re-provision the iPad back on Verizon when I decide to pop the Verizon SIM back in - which is not too far away since I have to use the SIM atleast once in 6 months to keep it active.

I have heard stories about Verizon being really b**chy about provisioning pre-paid SIM's on their network. Do I need to brace myself for some hard-nosed negotiations; or can the iPad be provisioned on two networks and I have nothing to worry about when switching back?

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

With iPad Air Verizon model you can switch out sim cards at will (from AT&T, Sprint, and TMobile, Red Pocket) and the device will automatically update internal settings. I would think the Mini model has the same feature. Not sure why you had problems before and had to call CS to get the sim to work. Sorry I am not of more help.

3. mtneer thread starter macrumors 68020

mtneer

The T-Mobile SIM did work when I popped it into the Verizon iPad. I got a carrier update and could see T-Mobile then show up in the Account Settings; however it would error out when I went through with the signup process. I called T-Mobile, the rep asked me for the serial number; assigned me a local area phone number and then asked me to wait overnight for their systems to catch up and let me on the network.