Do I need to Shut Down the MBP ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sticko, Apr 29, 2010.

1. sticko macrumors member

Hi,

I've been using a MBP for a while now. I rarely shut it down after I finish work, I just close the lid and leave it until I ready to use it again. Once and a while, I would restart it so It can perform better.

Is it OK to do that ? How many of you do this way?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It is okay to let the MBP sleep and only restart when an update wants it to.

I never turn my Macs off, unless I leave for a longer period.

If you use MRoogle, you will find many already existing threads on this issue.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

That's how I, umm, "roll" as well.

Very good waking from sleep behavior. :)

4. sticko thread starter macrumors member

5. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I never shut down my Mac unless I'm boarding an airplane or I know I won't be using it for at least a week. It loves to sleep!

6. IceBreakerG macrumors member

I always put my mbp to sleep. I do the same thing with my desktop pc as well. It's a lot faster, and I only reboot when I need to.

7. noobinator macrumors 601

What battery % do you lose if you sleep overnight?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Usually 1% per hour, but with larger capacity batteries it might be less, as only the RAM is powered.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I avoid shutting down when possible, but eventually I will run out of RAM if I don't shut down occasionally.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You won't run out of RAM if you don't shut down. You can, however, reduce the size of your page file by simply logging out and back in.

11. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

I just got my 13" MBP yesterday and had been wondering the same thing. I think I've settled on letting it sleep most of the time. I was worried about how much battery I would lose by leaving it in sleep mode all day, but it slept for 5.5 hours and the battery only dropped 3%. I think I can live with that.

12. ukyo229 Guest

You really should turn your computer off when you won't be using it for many hours. Leaving it on is irresponsible, and lazy, and consumes power.

This "stand-by" mode on electronics is ****.

Add the hundreds of millions of households that leave everything on every-night, and slap that in the face of the environment. It's disgusting, all because many people are lazy, self concerned pricks. In addition, they rather spend the extra money leaving everything on, than turning off a switch.

There is no reason to leave your computer on when you are not using it.

13. Prolif1k macrumors 6502

Wow...You need to chill.

There are numerous reasons to let your Mac sleep. The amount of power it uses is quite minimal while it is sleeping, so there's no need to throw in the "Oooh, look at me, the responsible power-saver." It puts unnecessary stress on the hard drive, especially if it's not a SSD.

14. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It's a lot more than 20 seconds with the amount of stuff I leave open. Between Firefox, Thunderdird, iTunes, Preview, Sunbird, Numbers, the dashboard, and whatever else I might be working on (VMWare, Word, Matlab, etc), startup probably takes 3-5 minutes. Plus I forget what I had open if I have to start from scratch, so I forget what I was doing/what I planned to do.

Hibernate takes a lot less time. I use a dashboard widget called Deep Sleep to put my MBP into hibernation (though I stopped using it a while back for some reason and now I have gotten into the habit of just using regular sleep).

For any other device I agree that standby is a waste of power. My TV starts up just as fast whether or not it was in standby mode.

15. ukyo229 Guest

That is a load of ignorant ******** mate. Multiply everything on sleep mode in your home annually, and check how much that adds up. Then multiply all the other homes that do the same thing, and the environmental impact.

The "myth" that turning your computer on and off stresses the components is nonsense, started by fat lazy nerds. It is debunked by professional IT's, and technicians. The hard drive? oh god, yeah mate, please explain the stress of the hard drive for turning your PC off every day. Perhaps showing some solid reputable evidence to back up such a claim. Considering what they do to a HD before dispatch from a factory, every single HD must already be faulty.

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

@ukyo229
    If you are so concerned about energy you really should never completely shutdown your Notebook. You should put it in hibernation and pull the plug. Waking up from Hibernation takes depending on how much is in the RAM and how fast the HDD is usually a considerably shorter time than a startup process.
    Also Hibernation uses Zero Power and a Notebook that is in Hibernation or Shutdown uses equally much power when plugged in which is still a little bit and even Standby hardly makes a difference.
    There are notebooks with a power plug that consume about 0.4 W when plugged in and 0.6W when in Standby. Shutting down is useless unless you disconnect it from the power grid.

Starting up and starting all the Applications again consumes a lot more additional energy than simply waking it up from a sleep mode.

And if you really want to save energy. Do not drive to work for one day, maybe try taking the bike. Good for your health and just one drive needs about as much energy as all your household devices on Standby.

Addition: I just looked it up. The new MBP have a very good power supply and use close to 0.0W when off or in Hibernation. It is 0.4W when in Standby which is very good. Some crappy notebooks still need 1.1 W and consume upto 0.8W when off. In Europe new Electronics are supposed to only use less than 2W on Standby but older TVs use sometimes around 10W on standby(and people never shut TVs off because that is inconvenient). For this energy you can leave you MBP running Idle.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree. Running a MBP uses "about one-third the power of a single lightbulb." If someone is so overly paranoid about the environment, let's see them park their car for a week! Or turn off all the lights in their house but the one closest to them. Or leave their A/C off for a week during the hottest part of the summer. Leaving a MBP plugged in uses so little energy, it's laughable. So turn off one lightbulb and run 3 MBPs for the same power! :rolleyes:

18. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

So it's completely fine if you leave your laptop sleep, put it in to a bag then carry around?

No damage/heat issue (when put in a bag) whatsoever with moving it around?

Thanks.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No problems at all.

20. ldobson macrumors regular

Devices such as computer's and DVR's are designed to be left in a power up state, period. Personally I leave all my devices in an 'always on' state and have my monitors hit standby after 30 minutes.

You are probably consuming more power by powering down and powering up these devices every time you want to use them.