do I need to sign up for a new contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bionictony, Mar 29, 2008.

1. bionictony macrumors member

I have at&t already. Could I just buy a new iphone and use the SSN# 999-99-9999 to get it activated and just stick in my at&t sim card? Or does it need unlocking?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

All you need to do is buy the iPhone and go to iTunes and activate the iPhone. You'll automatically extend your contract 2-years and they'll charge you an additional $20 per month to your existing bill for the data plan. You would only unlock the iPhone if you were going to go with a different carrier. :cool:

3. bionictony thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way to not purchase the data plan? I don't want it. Could I just put in the sim card and use it?

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

you might want to go with the Go Phone option. No 2-year contract and you can pay monthly fees. I've heard it's pretty reasonable. :cool:

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My son tried to just put his SIM card from his RAZR and it did allow him to activate the iPhone, but for some reason AT&T knew it was an iPhone and it charged him accordingly. He went over the 200 iPhone msg max and he thought he had unlimited text like his RAZR, WRONG, and they charged him $76 each month on average that he was over. It's scary that AT&T knows ALL! :eek:

6. bionictony thread starter macrumors member

I already have an at&t contract on a family plan. I just want to get the iPhone to use. So if I stick my at&t sim card in any iPhone (locked or unlocked), they will charge me an extra 20 for the data plan?

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's the scary part about the iPhone. I guess the EDGE Network begins working immediately and there's no way to shut it off, at least that I've been able to determine. None of my iPhones is jailbroken or unlocked, so I'm sort of useless in those areas. Sorry.

8. toddngina macrumors member

AT&T will let you have an iPhone plan without data, you'll have to call them to drop it after you activate the phone. That will save you $20 a month. But...what fun is having an iphone if it can't connect on the go? You'll have to hit the free wifi hotspots instead.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

^He's right.

Also no text messaging or Visual Voice mail.

Unless you plan on being in a WiFi network 100% of the time you use your iPhone, get something else.

10. bionictony thread starter macrumors member

I'll have wifi at home and work which i'm at most of the time. So I won't need it 100% of the time. I wanted an iphone because it's an ipod and cell phone together. So i can just use the 999-99-9999 to get past the activation, stick in my sim card, and call at&t to cancel the data plan that has been added to my account?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No you can't. It's the date plan that makes it the iPhone plan. Everything else is the same.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My Gawd, are they still allowing that SSN: 999-99-9999 to establish a new AT&T account? Must be 4 million people with the same SSN by now. I can just see them calling each other: "Hello my name is Jed, and my brother's name is Jed, and my momma's name is Jed..." LOL :p

13. bionictony thread starter macrumors member

i guess if i can't bypass the monthly data charge i'll have to go the ipod touch route. thanks for the information people.

14. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Question:

QUESTION: Based on the main topic question. But if i unlocked still being on at&t will it work with my current plan, no extensions?

Also, lets say i add edge plan to my current contract with an unlocked iphone it will work? (dont care if not worth the try just wanna know)