Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuke Dukem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I bought my MacBook back in November and only had one problem with it sitting uneven, which the apple store fixed.

Recently I've noticed some flicker on the screen though.

The flicker is only present on one message board, and the flicker will move along with the background of the site.. What I mean by that is if I notice the flicker in the background, it wont stay in the spot when I scroll up and down.. The flicker will scroll with the site..

Ive also noticed it with a certain theme in PowerPoint....

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
The flicker is only present on one message board, and the flicker will move along with the background of the site.. What I mean by that is if I notice the flicker in the background, it wont stay in the spot when I scroll up and down.. The flicker will scroll with the site..

Ive also noticed it with a certain theme in PowerPoint....

Based on how you describe it, I'd say it's nothing to do with the computer, but how it or the operating system interacts with something on the message board (coding, graphics, that sort of thing) and the same with Powerpoint.

Since it's so specific, it would be nigh impossible to identify the actual issue and chances are it's more to do with the web site you're visiting and the software you're using.

Last edited:

Nuke Dukem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Based on how you describe it, it's nothing to do with the computer, but how it or the operating system interacts with something on the message board (coding, graphics, that sort of thing) and the same with Powerpoint.

Since it's so specific, it would be nigh impossible to identify the actual issue.

I get what youre saying...

But if thats the case wouldnt all macbooks have this problem then?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I know what you mean by this. Try adjusting the monitor back or forward a little and see if it goes away. It does it for me on certain websites. It happens with a certain type of lines, if they're close together or something it appears to kind of flicker. I find it goes away when I bend the monitor back a little.

trikky

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
I get what youre saying...

But if thats the case wouldnt all macbooks have this problem then?
Nope. It could have to do with a specific setting you've got on your computer (such as brightness or contrast), a specific add-on you installed to your browser, combined with the programming on the specific web site you visit, combined with the version of OS you're using, combined with the specific processor you have, combined with the specific version of software...or any combination of either of these.

In other words, just like winning the lotto requires you to select the specific six numbers on the specific date that are drawn for that specific lottery, the problem you're seeing could be caused by a specific combination of specific elements, and to repeat the issue you'd have to have someone basically replicate the scenario exactly. The chances of there being another user with the exact same combination is pretty slim.

The fact that it's only on the one web site and with one particular theme within Powerpoint indicate to me that it's not the computer that's the problem, it's something you're running on the computer and how it relates with those two other elements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.