do i need to test my ram after upgrading?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by selvage, May 17, 2011.

1. selvage macrumors member

i just installed 8gigs of G.Skill ram in my 2011 13" i5. do i need to run any type of diagnostics to confirm if the ram isn't corrupt?

the only i did was check "about this mac" to confirm it shows 8gigs

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. selvage thread starter macrumors member

4. vrsixer macrumors newbie

I'd like to add that I added 8gb Corsair ram and it also said 8gb ram @ 1333 when I checked about this mac. But soon after I started to get kernel panics so I did memtest and found one of the sticks defective. I put the original 4gb ram back in and no more kernel panics. I rma'd the Corsair.

5. selvage thread starter macrumors member

in the event my computer starts acting funny how do i do a mem test?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple hardware test which is located on one of the DVD's that came with the machine, check apple's support site for instructions, it's pretty straightforward.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

A lot of times the Apple HW test will not detect a defect in problem RAM b/c it's not defective, it just doesn't meet Apple's high standard. But if you used your MBP for a while w/ the OEM RAM and had no issues then put in your 3rd party RAM and started getting odd behavior -- random freezes, graphics breaking up, kernel panics, etc. then 100% guarantee it's the 3rd party RAM. The only general purpose RAM, i.e., not specifically labeled for Macs, I've ever found to be 100% consistent is Crucial. I have a good, but not perfect, experience with PNY. Kingston ValuRAM is 50/50.

8. schizbomb macrumors 6502

I just did a few benchmarks, played some games, and then did my work, all while keeping a vigilant eye out for a couple days.

I have the same RAM as you and mine is 100% amazing so far.

9. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I am not clear on why anyone would NOT test newly installed RAM.

Why not do it so that you could catch bad chips early so that they could be returned more easily?

I ran about a half hour of testing with Tech Tool Pro.

R