Do I need to uninstall a software in order to install the lastest version?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dvader123, Sep 10, 2010.

1. dvader123 macrumors regular

I have the most recent versions of iLife, iWorks, and Office for mac.

The new versions are expected to come at at some point. I am plan to get the most recent versions of these programs when they become available.

My question is, do I need to uninstall the previous versions before I install the lastest ones or can I just install the lastest ones immediately without uninstalling the old versions.

If I do need to uninstall old versions what happens when I don't do that? I would like to know what happens to the old version after I install the newest version.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you should be able to install the new versions without removing the old ones. The old files will be replaced/updated by the new installation.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think iLife will overwrite the existing apps but iWork and Office will install themselves as new apps i.e. it will create a new iWork '11 folder and install the apps there. No, you don't have to uninstall anything unless you want to

4. D'Illusion macrumors regular

They might get replaced, they might not. When I installed Ableton 8 it left my copy of Ableton 5 intact. You might end up with 2 versions. If you do just delete the old one.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The OP did not ask about Ableton. The OP inquired specifically about iLife, iWork, and Office:mac. Hellhammer answered correctly.

6. D'Illusion macrumors regular

Ooohhh, get you :rolleyes: