Do i need to unlock my iphone 1g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kidwithshirt, Sep 11, 2008.

1. kidwithshirt macrumors member

hey i just this iphone 1g from this guy. he never did any modding to it

I got 2.0.2 jb to work, but problem is:

i have att service, so i thought i just put in my sim card, but it doesn't work, no network. I thought same carrier would be just fine?

Anyway do i have to unlock my phone (got bootneuter ready, heard that voids warranty?) Or am i doing something wrong?

Should i proceed anyway?

Waiting for answers, getting nes stuff =)

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Just cause it's the same carrier, doesn't mean it can use different SIM cards from the same carrier. I think this works with Blackberrys too...You can only use the SIM card that the phone was activated with (unless they extended that to phones of the same type).

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, not right at all. You theoretically should be able to use any AT&T SIM in any AT&T or unlocked GSM phone, provided the phone has at least the 850 and 1900 MHz bands (which the iPhone has both).

The way BlackBerries work is that data access is tied to a specific phone (which can be changed in like 30 seconds in the BIS management website), but you can stick any AT&T SIM in any AT&T or unlocked BlackBerry and the phone and texting functions will work just fine.

So in short, no, you do not need to unlock your phone. Are you sure you're in an AT&T coverage area?

Oh, and one more thing. Which AT&T do you have? Do you still have an old AT&T SIM from back in the day before they were bought by Cingular and called AT&T Wireless? Or do you have an AT&T SIM from the new AT&T? If you have an old AT&T SIM, it might not work and you'll have to stop by an AT&T store to get a new SIM.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Really? So many people I know have never been able to get another AT&T SIM card to work with the iPhone without unlocking it. :confused:

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Unless Apple and/or AT&T are doing something weird with the iPhone, like requiring a data plan for it to work at all (which I highly doubt), it should work without unlocking it.