Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff1k345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2016
I've had an iPhone 5 for the past 3 years with the same sim card and my new 7+ is coming today. Will updating my sim card have any benefits or can I just put my existing sim card into the new phone?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I've had an iPhone 5 for the past 3 years with the same sim card and my new 7+ is coming today. Will updating my sim card have any benefits or can I just put my existing sim card into the new phone?

Is it a SIM free model or a carrier model? If its carrier, it will come with a new SIM card.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Pretty sure the iPhone 5 was the first with the Nano Sim, so it's unlikely you will need to update your sim
but the carrier may include a new one. Here in Australia it's hit and miss - my old Sim was 4 years old and I opted for a new one but only because they asked if I wanted to or not. Wife and son are using 2 and 3 year old Sim's in their second and third phones respectively with no problems

Reactions: Dirtydutch

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Pretty sure the iPhone 5 was the first with the Nano Sim, so it's unlikely you will need to update your sim
but the carrier may include a new one. Here in Australia it's hit and miss - my old Sim was 4 years old and I opted for a new one but only because they asked if I wanted to or not. Wife and son are using 2 and 3 year old Sim's in their second and third phones respectively with no problems
That is correct you will be fine with ur current sim OP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.