iPod touch Do I need to update to ios 6.1.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by narutoninjakid, Feb 28, 2013.

1. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

My iPod touch 5th gen is on 6.1 and I have everything set up the way I like it do I really have to update to iOS 6.1.2 as I was reading apple will stop signing it soon. What do you guys think ?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You don't have to update..even if they stop signing it, your 6.1 will keep working fine..The next update will be 6.1.3, which should come in a few weeks. They won't stop signing 6.1.2 at least until that is released (obviously). You can just stay on 6.1 forever, or once (if) 6.1.3 is jailbreakable you could upgrade to that.

Otherwise, there's no need to upgrade to 6.1.2 unless you just want to be on the newest software.

3. narutoninjakid thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I upgraded yesterday simply because I use Exchange calendars, so better battery life was worth the hassle. I'm not going to bother with my iPad, since its battery life is amazing and there's no real reason to worry about the upgrade there, so I'll stay on 6.1. Wasn't too bad, though. I bought PkgBackup to back up all my Cydia stuff, did an iTunes backup, restored, Jailbroke, restored my iTunes backup, then restored my PkgBackup, and my phone was exactly how I had it before the upgrade. The only thing that's a pain is that it just takes quite a while. The iTunes restore, including all app syncing, took about an hour and a half, and my PkgBackup restore took another 45 minutes or so, plus the time to make the backups, etc. Still, not a whole lot of interaction, just that the phone was out of commission for about 4 hours total.

5. cyber16 macrumors 6502

I would suggest anyone that plans to update to 6.1.2 do in sooner than later.
    Once 6.1.3 lands, Apple will close that door within hours like they have been.
    Doing it sooner provides you the benefit of a few days+ just in case you run into a problems. my $0.02