Do I need to upgrade my data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Robby C, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

Hey all,
    So after having the iPhone for a week I've noticed I've been using a lot data. 167.1 MBs to be exact. Most of this is simply surfing the web and streaming Pandora. Now, I have turned my cellular data off to avoid unwanted charges against the phone bill. But what I have to ask is, is this usual? I think part of this may be due to me being on break and just exploring the phone's capabilities but 167.1 MBs in a week is a lot more than what I was thinking I'd be using.

So I'd prefer to keep my plan at 200 MBs. Is it possible that if I cut down any unneeded usage (such as simple web browsing, social networking, etc) that I could keep it below my cap at 200 MBs? Keep in mind I want to stream Pandora while I'm in the car, and I'm in the car for probably half an hour-hour per day if not more on others.

Should I upgrade the plan to 2GBs? Obviously I can live without it, I didn't even have data before I had the iPhone. But obviously the access to internet on-the-go is extremely beneficial.

Thanks in advance all

2. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

200 mbs wont get you far. That data plan is intended for people who never turn on their phone. even 2 gb wouldnt be enough for me

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Possibly. Do you have much access to Wi-Fi (either at home or work, etc.)?

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Yes you should probably go for more ... try to get the 2GB to be safe.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can either keep the 200 MB plan or use pandora, but you can't have both. Streaming music eats up data. Casual browsing with some light e-mail checking is all you can do on 200MB.
    You can transfer podcasts to your phone in iTunes. You'd still have something to listen to and wouldn't have to use data.
    If you're not willing to give up Pandora, you'll have to get 2GB.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Pandora is roughly 3MB per song, lime a MP3 file size. Half an hour to hour per day is about 50-65MB depending. Even the 2GB won't get you very far with streaming music.

7. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use a special 150 MB plan and I'm the guy a few months ago was burning through 1GB the trick is use Wifi whenever you get the chance and also to turn data off once your close to the max MB your plan

8. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I personally recommend getting the bigger dataplan.