Do I need to Upgrade to 4gb Ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrooklynNoise, Oct 22, 2008.

1. BrooklynNoise macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am considering buying a new Macbook Pro

2.4GHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    15-inch widescreen
    320GB hard drive1
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB

I am trying to decide whether it is worth/necessary to upgrade the RAM to 2 2gb sticks (4gb) from 2 1gb sticks (2gb).

I am mainly going to use the computer for internet, word processing, iphoto, imovie video editing, itunes,and watching movies/tv shows both on disc and streaming. My current computer has 512mb of SRAM and I get beachballs all the time. Will the 2 1gb RAM sticks be enough for my needs? Will the 4gb RAM only provide incremental speed boost or possibly none at all?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

For what you're doing, 2GB should be more than enough memory. I can do all that (and easily) on my 2.0 GHz MacBook (from 2006) with 2 GB of RAM as well.

3. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

It isn't necessary, but you will appreciate it if you do it. I just bought an iMac that came with 1 GB - and found it was extremely fast and I had no problems doing anything. But then RAM went on sale at my local store - I got 4GB of Kingston RAM for $59! Installed and my imac is a beast.

So I'd suggest you hang tight with 2 GB, but keep your eye out on a deal for RAM.

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

you dont need it for what you are doing. i would wait for the price to drop way down then get it. it will help as the machine ages.

5. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

For what your doing it really shouldnt make a huge difference. I could easily get away with the 2gb mine came with but with 4gb I can sleep at night knowing its as fast as it can be :D

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

buzz kill. your computer can support 8 gb

7. BrooklynNoise thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I just read about the 8gb possibility. Holy crap.

Thank you everyone for the advice! Based on the suggestions, I think I may just stick with the standard 2 1gb RAM. I was worried mainly for the Imovie stuff because I assumed it would be heavy on the memory, but if I don't need it I would rather save the money.

8. dambro1978 macrumors regular

I ordered the same machine you want, with 2 Gb of RAM. I can wait 6 months to see a lowering of the RAM price, then I'll upgrade it and I'll feel that I used better my money.

No?

9. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Kind of... but there have been issues reported.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=573906

definitely overkill for me but I did lose a little sleep when I first started reading the 8gb threads. But for now I have come to terms with my 4gb ;)