Do I need to wipe the Mac myself before returning it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coldjeanzzz, May 16, 2016.

1. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I plan to exchange my MBP for a MB (within 14 days), but I don't know if I need to clear everything off it first or if Apple will do that for me? I would do it myself right now but I'm not 100% sure if I am going to make the exchange yet. Also will the person at Apple do it in front of me? I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with them just walking off with it and all my personal stuff on it still

2. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I didn't. I got a 11' MacBook Air but it was too small so I returned it. First sample of Mac at the time so I wouldn't have known how anyway.

I asked in store they said they would wipe it. Then out it goes refurbished. ☺️

3. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Apple will wipe it as a part of the reconditioning/refurbishment process... but I highly doubt that they will do it in front of you. If you value your privacy and security, you should do so yourself.

4. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

if you have file vault enabled your stuff in encrypted anyway right?

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

That concern should trump all other points. Wipe it yourself after backing it up. If you don't make the exchange, then restore from backup.

6. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I'd always suggest wiping all devices, prior to returning them.
    Then again, this is coming from an IT Support Manager ;)

7. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Wiping ones data off a Mac couldn't be easier.

I have the utmost respect for Apple processes when handling our computers. Yet I would never be so complacent as to hand my data over to anyone.

Use this routine:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

This is one of those questions you already know the answer to. Of course, you don't HAVE to wipe it yourself, but the reasons to do it yourself sure are compelling.

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I would wipe it. A year ago last summer, I bought an open box 2012 Mac Mini at MicroCenter and it came with the previous persons info. All his contacts, apps, app store and iTunes logins logged in.

I ended up restoring it myself before doing anything else on it.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Absolutely erase w/ at least a 2 pass write. Otherwise it's like leaving your safe unlocked and opening no one gets nosey.