Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitchVegas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
I am moving a bunch of dvd's I ripped over from my Pc and was wondering If i needed toast to burn a dvd or could I just use a burn folder through OSX?

Thanks in advance

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
No, you don't need Toast, especially if you're mostly transferring stuff. Mac OS X's built-in burner and iDVD will work fine. If you want more advanced features, Toast is more powerful, but you shouldn't need it unless you're interested in that. I don't have Toast and burn DVD's all the time. It's a good purchase, but I don't need it.

MitchVegas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
sorry, its a video dvd that I would play either on my macbook or on a dvd player. I used a lightscribe dvd that I had left over, its a DVD +r. I created a burn folder and it completed the burn but said the disc could not be verified. I tried to play on on my laptop and it said it was unsupported through the dvd player. I put it on my vista machine and it worked just fine.

any thoughts?

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Do you NEED it? No. Will it make life a lot easier? Yes.

I spent loads of time trying to cobble together shareware or free apps to do what Toast does (I actually use Popcorn 3 and am very happy with it - Toast is overkill for me) and never got a useable solution. With Popcorn, I rip with MacTheRipper, then open Popcorn, de-select the non-English tracks, commentary, etc. then burn it to a video DVD. Works really, really well. Enough so that I'm kicking myself over the futile attempts at other solutions!

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I don't see why you would need toast.
But, if you must have it, make sure to apply some butter or jam.
Dry toast is not very yummy.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.