Do I need two? Is it

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sirenized, Mar 13, 2018.

1. sirenized macrumors regular

I have a S3 in gold but keep looking at other colors. I love my watch but it doesn’t always GO with everything. I know at the end of the day the only person who can answer that is me, but I need a common sense slap too. Is it ridiculous to have two watches? If not would you go space grey or silver? I don’t use lte so as much as I love stainless it’s not worth the cost for me.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

That's part of why I got the plain stainless model -- it goes with everything. ;)

You can get different bands to change up the overall look of the watch, of course. You can also get some snap-on cases to change the appearance of the watch head itself. These could be less expensive than getting a second silver-toned AW.

Other people wear gold-colored regular watches with everything (I have a PVD gold Swiss watch, too), so it's not that much of a fashion disaster in the real world.

When it comes to just usability, and tossing fashion out the window, some people use two Apple Watches, like keeping their older model around for overnight sleep tracking and exercise while using their new model the rest of the time.

So maybe you can get a used/refurb'd older version, then keep using both until one or two upgrades get released, and then upgrade the older version and move your gold S3 to the "older model" role (does that make sense?).

3. csurfr macrumors 68000

Personal opinion of course, but I don’t think the space gray goes with nearly as many bands as silver or stainless (and I went from stainless to space gray). If I were to do it over again I’d go with one of the other two before any other color.

4. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

It is not ridiculous to have two watches if you want to change up to match your wardrobe.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Do you “Need” it, is up to you. Do you want a second Apple Watch color is what I think you mean. And someone as myself, I have both the stainless Apple Watch and black stainless Apple Watch, and I like having the contrast and color with different attires and bands. But if you can justify having a second Apple Watch, there is nothing wrong with that.

6. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Does everything sync with a second watch? Or does one think you only move half the time and the other watch thinks you move the other half of the time?

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Kinda yes to both questions —

Since you won’t be wearing both at the same time, one watch takes over where the other leaves off. They won’t duplicate each other. All the data they log ends up in Apple Health anyway.

8. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

both watches sync with the phone and activity metrics will match up.
    you still need to set up watch faces for each watch.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have two Apple Watches (s3 LTE). Granted, they are both SB SS. I do find having two comes in handy.

OP, you could keep the gold for fancy nights out, and the other watch for workouts and general about the day and town function.

10. larzy macrumors regular

larzy

Just got a second one today, a 42mm Nike model to switch with - my other is a stainless steel 38mm, so they are at least a little different :)

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

As much as I like the stainless steel Apple Watch. I do wish I had a sport model strictly for weightlifting because its light. I just don’t trust the stainless around weights and that model is more expensive where I don’t want to risk damaging it.

12. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Is it ridiculous? Yes. Did I do exactly that? Yes.

I absolutely love my gold S3 with some bands, but I started getting into collecting bands, and I ended up with some I didn’t like with it. I ended up getting a Nike sport in silver to wear with those other bands.

13. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

Its hard to choose...
    Im also going back n forth with ss and sb....

But im now returning the ss...
    I love sports band and sport loop more...
    It goes well with sb.... I find classic buckle too expensive... I found cheap deal for leather loop for my sb.... So now im sticking with sb...
    [​IMG]

14. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Oddly enough, I originally bought the series 0 in stainless on the link bracelet, but I ended up wearing it the large majority of the time on the black rubber strap, so I got space black on rubber for my Series 3.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

As much as I like Apples OEM bands, there are so many competitive third party bands on the market that may not match the quality of Apples bands, but aesthetics, it’s almost impossible to distinguish between them. And at a much cheaper price point, one can afford to buy multiple bands what it would const for one Apple band.

16. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

I would wait for the series 4. At least then you will have them offset for when you no doubt want an upgrade or they become obsolete.

17. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

I had both the Series 0 SS and SBSS. I found that I would wear one for months before switching to the other. I can see the appeal of having more than one watch. It's not that uncommon in the analog world, so you're not crazy!

For me, when I was time to upgrade I went with the Series 3 SBSS. Personally, I like the blacked-out look and I'm not sure I'm going with a second watch this time around. That's the nice thing about watches, they're a personal statement and there's no right or wrong approach to ownership.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The Only drawback with your statement is we don’t know that there will be a Series 4 this fall, so the opposing arguement could be made why not take advantage of the Series 3 now not knowing what the future holds. Series 3 no matter Now or in the Fall will be a very viable watch.

19. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

as much as i want to get both SS and SB .. i need to choose one for now and that's SB since i got it $100 less than the normal price..... will just wait for series 4... and see whats new and get a SS so i can have both colors ...

20. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

21. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Between those both comparisons of the stainless Apple Watches, I would choose the black stainless paired with the blue leather loop.

22. abdulkar.im macrumors 65816

abdulkar.im

I agree, the SB looks better with that particular band.

23. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Like others, I would have mentioned SS because it goes with everything and is more durable, etc. However. I agree gold can be tough to match with some clothing colors or bands a I do like to match belt/shoes and watch. Others would say that is way overthinking. But if you think it is hard to match and it is important to you, by all means get a second like a Nike Space Gray or even Silver and only use for sports, working out and yard work. Still probably cheaper than a SS - especially for refurbished or even S1/S2.

I wouldn’t hesitate if money is not a problem. Always having a reserved one or dedicated “rough-housing” one is a good enough reason for me and then space gray for matching outfits and such while gold is sports, etc.

Just one more idea. Even buying a refurbed SS or A year old SS might be worth it since it won’t be used all the time.

24. Nell macrumors 6502

I totally disagree! I love the look of the blue leather with stainless steel but think it looks utterly wrong with the black finish.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

One’s Perspective of a physical aesthetic characteristic doesn’t have to match someone else’s. Its subjective. But thanks for your opinion.