Do I Need Vedio Card?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by murto-photo, Mar 4, 2010.

1. murto-photo macrumors newbie

hi every body

i'am new on vedio montage

and i i have the new imac 27 i7 :apple:

i want ask why do i need vedio card in the montage?

what is the good one?

which accessories do i need to use in the process ?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Welcome.

It's VIDEO not vedio btw, and as you seem to have the top iMac model, you have the "top" graphic card that comes with it.

For editing you don't really need the top of the line graphic card, as editing is using the CPU more than the GPU.

Unless you use some kind of compositing software for your montages, like Motion or Combustion, then a good graphic card is need to properly display the content.

Also a lot more information is needed to properly tell you what you need.

What software do you use and what kind of video montages do you mean?

If it are the simple ones using iMovie, then your iMac is more than enough to handle that.

3. murto-photo thread starter macrumors newbie

first i'am not english speaker so you well see a lot of mistakes in my writing

for the program i use final cut pro hd ( i'am new on the prog and i'am learning now)

for the kind of montage i don't know the kinds to tell you about which kind ( if you don't mind to tell me the kinds pls)

but for now i have a pig event in my city i want to produce a movie about this event and i want to add effects and so on

i heard from one guy that i need video card to record the video tapes by the highest quality by DV cable(for example canopus)
    for that reason i asked the question above is that right? if yes i want a middle model one which i can use it with my imac

and THANKS;)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, there seems to be some kind of misunderstanding and miscommunication here.

A video card is the device to display what the operating system does on a display and to render scenery in games or graphic intense applications.

What you refer to is a capture card, which as the name suggests, captures incoming video signals and converts them to something readable by the computer. That is done with analog and digital sources like VHS cassettes or digital video cassettes like Digi Beta.

As you mentioned "DV", I can tell you that cameras recording to miniDV or similar cassettes have a so-called DV-OUT (i.Link or IEEE 1394 or Firewire), which can be directly connected to a computer via a Firewire cable.

You most probably need a 4-pin to 9-pin Firewire cable like the following:

[​IMG]

The 4-pin end goes into your camera, the 9-pin end into your iMac.

[​IMG]

4-pin on camera
    [​IMG]

9-pin on iMac (FW 800 port)
    [​IMG]

If you have another type of camera, please tell us which, so we can help you.

Did you understand what I just wrote (language or content-wise)?

5. murto-photo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot Mr. spinnerlys

don't worry about reading i can handle that but some time i can't express what i want to say

ok

so what the benefit of the converters ( for example the Grass Valley ADVC110 Advanced Digital Video Converter ) ???

can i connect the camera direct to the imac?what i will lose in this case?

what about VHS converters?

last qu

you didn't tell me about the kinds of montage?(i want to learn if you provide me a source where i can read and improve my skills pls)

thaaaaaaaaaanks :)

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

They convert analog signals into digital ones, as a computer only works with digital information, this conversion is needed.
    The converter you mentioned is for Standard Definition (SD) consumer sources like VHS and DVD players, game consoles and other devices that put out a composite signal.
    A composite signal is not really a signal associated with quality, as a lot of information is not transmitted that way, but as the mentioned sources also don't have every information that a video image can store, it does not really matter.

As I pointed out in my last post, you can directly connect a DV camera to your Mac.
    Look at the pictures and the surrounding text.

There is no signal loss between a DV camera and the computer while connected via Firewire, it's a 1:1 transfer.
    But player decks with SDI (Serial Digital Interface) are sometimes preferred for capturing video, even DV. But those players cost in the thousands of €, so the Firewire cable will more than suffice.

The converter you mentioned can be used to capture and convert VHS cassettes. The video is then transferred via the Firewire cable to your Mac.
    Sometimes even a DV camera can be used, when it has some kind of video-in (most likely the yellow composite port).

Montage is a broadly term. It just means the editing of one image after the other to assemble them bit by bit.
    Montage is a french word and means "putting together".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montage

So you have to be more specific what you really want.

Do you wanna make a video with just images of that event, cut to some kind of music, do you want to make a documentary, do you want to make something else?

Use the web search engine of your choice to find you some guides on introducing you to editing techniques.
    There are plenty out there.

[​IMG]

Ah, just saw that Montage can also mean: a filmmaking technique which uses rapid editing, special effects and music to present compressed narrative information.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montage_(filmmaking)

I thought of Eisenstein, therefore I got the term in others ways as you might mean.

7. murto-photo thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

so for HD conversion is that grope is enough ??

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc_hd_family

is there any topics or terms (specific one)that can help me in search ??

Thanks one more time :)

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you please, for the love of whatever, tell me what camera do you plan on using? Or what kind of output you want to create?
    Is the finished film being broadcast or what?
    The converter you linked to might be to much for what you need, as it even has an SDI input, something professional editing solutions use, and you don't seem to be that professional (not meant as an insult, just observation) due to your questions. You don't need to spend so much money for a simple editing job, or even an advanced one. That device you linked costs double of what the i7 iMac costs.

So please, tell us what camera and distribution process you have in mind or in place?

Also I do not understand what you mean by "grope".

grope |grōp|
    verb
    1 [ intrans. ] feel about or search blindly or uncertainly with the hands : she got up and groped for her spectacles.
    • ( grope for) search mentally with hesitation or uncertainty for (a word or answer) : she was groping for the words which would express what she thought | [as adj. ] ( groping) their groping attempts to create a more meaningful existence.
    • move along with difficulty by feeling objects as one goes : she blew out the candle and groped her way to the door.
    2 [ trans. ] informal feel or fondle (someone) for sexual pleasure, esp. against their will : he was accused of groping office girls.
    noun
    an act of fondling someone for sexual pleasure : she and Steve sneaked off for a quick grope.
    DERIVATIVES
    gropingly adverb
    ORIGIN Old English grāpian; related to gripe .

http://www.google.com/search?client...oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=mUKQS8LtKI2k_Qby5c2ADQ

9. murto-photo thread starter macrumors newbie

helo :)

i wil not buy a camera but i will deal with some

and the most camera i will deal with it panasonic md10000

i have also sony advc xr520 ( this is not the main but i will deal with it also )

my project not for the broadcast purpose

my project i want to export it on DVDs and distribute it among people ( in my city )

for grope :)

sorry i made a mistake i mean group :D

and sorry for being disturbing you :eek:

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't disturb me, don't worry.

I was just confused.

Then you don't need additional hardware. The first camera is a cheap "semi-professional" miniDV camera, the second one is a consumer HD camera that stores its footage on the internal HDD and uses AVCHD (MPEG-4 codec H264) to compress the footage.
    Neither camera needs additional hardware for you to capture the footage.
    The miniDV tape can be captured via Firewire (I mentioned it earlier), and the xr520 footage by connecting the camera via USB to the computer and let iMovie or the software that came with it do the job. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=339335

Again, no additional hardware is needed. I don't know who feeds you that information, but your computer is perfectly capable of doing what you want without additional hardware.

I have edited several short films with my 12" iBook 1GHz in the miniDV format and on some kind of professional software called Avid Free DV (no longer officially available). I just used a DV camera (VX2000) to play the tape and used the iBook to capture it. Nothing more was needed.

[​IMG]

If you don't trust me enough look for similar topics via MRoogle and posts by Lethal Wolfe, bigbossbomb or spice weasel and some others.
    The former two work in editing environments, and they should agree with me, that no additional hardware is needed if you just do the edits for yourself and some friends.

11. murto-photo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot Mr. spinnerlys :)

i will not forget your time with me

and if o want some thing i will return back again :D

Best Wishes