Do I need Windows 10 Home or Pro?

rjsounds

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Hey guys, so as the title says I'm looking to buy Windows 10 so I can (finally) use Bootcamp to play some games on my iMac. I haven't had to purchase Windows in almost 10 years (and my gosh has the price gone up) and I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything if I just go with the Home version. I'm literally only going to be booting into Windows to play games and to go on Steam.

Here's the link I found on Microsoft's website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10

Prices in CAD are $139 for Home and (yikes!) $199 for Pro. (honestly it has me almost wanting to reconsider just buying a used PS4 at this point)

Thanks in advance.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
Windows 10 Home is a better choice for you if you only play games and go on steam. And honestly, windows 10 pro won’t give you the ability to disable windows update, so I would rather go Home edition if I were you.
If you play some older games (released in 2001-2010), windows 7 might be a better choice. I doubt bootcamp will support it though.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Windows Home is all you need. Some sellers sell Windows 10 codes for a few dollars on eBay. Not sure how legit it is though.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
There are only three features of Windows Pro I see as useful over Home.
1. Group Policy: Great for tinkering with the OS. Much easier than registry editing. The biggest bonus is being able to put Windows Update out of commission.
2. Bitlocker: Built in encryption. Although recent headlines about the susceptability of SSD to workarounds due to garbage security makes Bitlocker dubious. Since it apparently just uses built-in hardware encryption if an SSD has it. Not sure if a TPM fixes the SSD security flaws. Veracrypt is probably a better option now. The big downside is some Windows updates require you to decrypt the drive. Making Veracrypt a pain in the rear.
3. Domains: You must have Windows Pro or Enterprise to join a corporate domain. I don't think you n

Price: MS allows you to use Windows 10 for free for as long as you want and provides the ISO. Buying those keys is pretty pointless. The only caveats of running Windows 10 for free is a small watermark on the desktop and the absence of Personalization options in Settings. If Windows is too expensive just run it without activation. If MS allows it there is no reason not to if you can live with those minor nuisances.

Windows Home is all you need. Some sellers sell Windows 10 codes for a few dollars on eBay. Not sure how legit it is though.
They're usually technet keys or overused corporate keys. Microsoft does occasions sweeps for those keys. The OS will usually just last several months to a year before it deactivates.

Reactions: krause734