Do I need windows disc for bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattmertz77, Sep 15, 2013.

1. mattmertz77 macrumors member

Do I need the disc or can I get it from their site?

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I have the.....

understanding that if you pretend to boot on Windows in some instance, you can need the real thing (i.e. the disc with the flavor of Windows you need/prefer). Maybe you can check the Microsoft site and see if they still offer an option to download a disc image or .iso as trialware....:confused:

:):apple:

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

From my experience for bootcamp you need a disk. Whether it be a retail disk or a burned ISO image of a disk is up to you but it should be a disk; at least with bootcamp. Programs like VMWare Fusion allow you to use an ISO but it's still a disk image.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

More recent versions of bootcamp will allow you to create a USB Windows installer from an ISO.

When you go through the bootcamp assistant, it will give you the option to create the USB drive. Just point it to your ISO and follow the rest of the instructions.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, there are legitimate download links for (at least) Windows 7 ISOs. These are direct from Microsoft.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-obtain-iso-to-reinstall-windows-7/59b6b659-7a04-4df2-9bae-ddac79c9389f