Do I or don't I? Which Macbook do I need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by thisispiers, Oct 6, 2013.

1. thisispiers macrumors newbie

So, I'm a web developer and do a lot of coding, I currently have a dual-monitor setup with a 2011 Mac mini and I have to say: it's lovely and runs loads of apps at once - no problems what so ever.

However, I'm starting work for more and more clients at their various offices every week and need something portable. Hence, MBA. But, my biggest question is this, does anyone else feel that the 11"/13" display is cramped?

Currently, my 17" display at home is 1280x1024 giving me loads of height to view code, while my 1600x900 main monitor shows the website. But, if I were to move to a Macbook Air, after a whole day on such a tiny screen, with/without an external screen, will the small screen size get to me?

I have thought about purchasing one and if I don't like it then returning it within the 2 weeks. I've also thought about the 15" rMBP.

Any thoughts? What have you guys experienced?

Much appreciated.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

With a Retina you can run 1920x1200 or 1680x1050

Or get the 15" Pro with the high-res screen option (1680x1050)

But, IMO the 1440x900 of the 15" Pro or 13" Air is as good as 1280x1024 and almost as good as 1600x900

3. thisispiers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Sounds like it'll be okay even after a full days work on a small screen.

4. hexblot macrumors member

Having spent multiple days web coding on a MBA 13" screen, I can personally attest it to be a fine experience.

It was even fun having the (Windows-centric) office wonder why I didn't want a mouse :p

5. thisispiers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for relating your experiences. My main concern was whether the screen would be too small after downsizing from a dual monitor setup...

6. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

you'll definitely notice - why not take a trip to the fruitstand and play with them?

i love my 11" but it almost sounds like the 13" (rMBP or MBA) would be a nice compromise for you. I included the retina 13 in there because in my opinion it is virtually just as portable as the 13" air. In fact i so believe this to be true that I am not really sure where the 13air fits... the 13 retina is basically a high-rez option for the air.

the 11" is an ultra-portable in every sense of the world. i use it for work and class (i am a law-student) and at night i plug it into my TBD... to me it's the best computer i've ever owned.

So i guess the question for you is where are you going to be spending most of your time? if you are going to be spending hours on end at a client's space then maybe the 13 is the way to go. if you are going all over the place on any given day then the 11 might work best. Either way any of the 3 computers i just mentioned are fine machines that would almost certainly be perfectly adequate for your stated needs. So to me, all things being equal go for the cheapest one :)

definitely go make sure the 11 isn't too small for you though...