Do I preorder or can I get one on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Mar 7, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Never got the Ipad on launch day before so what's the best solution order online or stand and queue? what are the chances of getting one?

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I would say that, by tomorrow, pre-orders will no longer deliver on release day. And, since the event was today with same day pre-orders, the more mainstream media (news, etc) will probably report it tomorrow. And since we all need it on release day :)p) they will be lining up. I say pre-order online for release day delivery while you have the chance!

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I queued for the iPad 2 at a Best Buy about 4 hours to launch time. I was about 12 or so in line. I got my pick from any of the iPads and went with a black 32GB Wi-Fi.

However, for the iPhone 4s, I preordered and received it around 5 or so in the evening without ever having to leave my home.

The latter is the better option, in my opinion.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

good luck getting the pre-order. it ain't easy. i got mine, but my guess is that your delivery date will get pushed back several weeks if you don't get it in today.

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Got in today, I'd rather have the UPS guy hand it over on the 16th than wait like a dufus in line for 3 hours to have the risk they might sell out. I was that dufus last year and learned from my mistake. I pre ordered about 20 min ago and other than the pages taking a bit longer to refresh was done in about 10 minutes.

6. pavvento macrumors 6502

Do they tell you the delivery date before you confirm the order or is it a crap-shoot?

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

They will tell you a date. I just ordered and they are still saying the 16th. Even you confirmation says the 16th.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

They'll tell you before checkout. But there's always a chance that something could happen or maybe their system isn't estimating properly.

9. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

But say I stand in the queue does that mean by the time say I'm in the middle the store could only have 32GB ones left? How quick do they sell? Is it a case of everybody in the line should get one then it's sold out, or does it happen in the queues?

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It is the only way to go!

I also ordered at the online store as I have no desire to stand in line with a bunch of crazy people!:eek:

11. pavvento macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. This is my first iOS device since the iPhone 3G so I'm pretty excited to be back in the game! I'm leaning towards AT&T over Verizon due to the HSPA+ fallback. I hope I don't regret that decision!

12. whawhat macrumors 6502

If you can get on the pre-order today it delivers on March 16th.

13. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Little chance of that as the site is down in the UK when I tried earlier. :eek:

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

I can work from home on the 16th and let the delivery guy bring the ipad to me while I'm busy working, or I can take off work to go stand in line and risk wasting that time if they run out.

Hmm... not a very difficult decision... :D

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

FYI I had an easier time preordering my iPhone 4 with the iOS Apple Store app.

16. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I wonder how many people are going to be lining up for the Apple TV on Friday. :p

Though in all seriousness, if you want one right away just pre-order.

Every release people waffle, don't know what to do, etc. then they complain that 1 month later they cannot get one because all the scalpers are snatching up all the units and eBay has them up for double the price.

Save yourself the hassle, if you want one, just BUY one now on pre-order and get it over with.

Even if you aren't sure, buy one anyway. You have a few days to change your mind before your order ships, or you can return without a restocking fee.

17. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'm not sure of the coverage, but as for service I've never had an issue with ATT. Verizon I've always had issues with, they are just such a crappy company in terms of their customer service, they kind of treat you like you take take it or leave it. 3G ATT (No LTE here yet) is pretty nice and I'd probably would have still been happy even if they didnt have LTE until the ipad4.