Do I Qualify for a Free Replacement Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xantu, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Xantu macrumors newbie

Hey so I've been watching a lot of movies on Netflix lately, and I've been noticing a lot of discoloration whenever the screen fades to "black" during a movie. There is a green spot (first picture, near center of screen) that hasn't moved and won't go away when I look at the screen normally. Also there is a long line of discoloration (second picture, center of screen) when I look at the screen from a different angle.

Attached are some pictures, do you think apple would give me a new screen for this? It's really annoying when I'm trying to enjoy a movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey, which has a LOT of black in it.

Attached Files:

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

It's certainly worth a shot.

Still under warranty? Have Applecare?

3. Xantu thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Blipp macrumors 6502

If you're still under warranty then I don't see why not. If you're out of warranty then it's a craps shoot but probably not. It's always worth a try but hardware failure outside of warranty doesn't entitle you to a free anything, that's kind of the entire point of an extended warranty.

EDIT:
    You posted while I was typing. As long as you're under warranty and you haven't spilled coffee or whatever all over your machine they should replace just about anything that's not functioning as intended.

5. Xantu thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks everyone!

Now if only I could get them to replace it with a high res anti-glare screen, hmm...

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I would ask them if you could pay the difference. It's not an unreasonable request, although I think anti-glare might be pushing it but high-res might be possible

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

like edifyingGerbil said if you pay the difference im sure they will do it. It may have to get sent out because they probably dont keep those screens in the store unless they have one from an unfulfilled customer order.

if they do i would go for the hi-res. Its great on the 15"

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

they will order the part (perhaps a week or so, that is how long it took for mine) and then replace it in store. Mine took like 2-3 hours.

9. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

agreed... the screen replacement is very fast... actually like 30 minutes to do start to finish.

10. Xantu thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone know how much the cost of the high res screen will be?

11. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Apple charges about 150 for the upgrade on their store. I would imagine if it's possible to do so in your case they'd charge the same or similar.

12. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

i thought $150 was for the high-res anti glare, and that just high res is $50 or something... or is it just $100?

13. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I guess it could be either 100 or 150 depending on glossy or antiglare. I'm not sure about this case though. I would plan on either of those prices if I was going to ask and hope the deal is better in store if they offer it.

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Would be nice if they would do it, but they won't. If they deem that a replacement is necessary, you will get what you currently have.