Do I Qualify for the Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tha80sbrat, Jun 18, 2008.

1. tha80sbrat macrumors regular

I am currently with AT&T, but do not have a 1st gen iPhone. My 2 year contract ends in December, but I'd be willing to renew my contract when the 3G iPhone comes out in July.

Do I qualify for the $299 subsidized price for the 16GIG iPhone?

When I log into my account on the AT&T website, it says I qualify for a no-commitment discount phone upgrade in August...does the iPhone count?

It's all so confusing. I wish we could just go into an Apple store and buy the freakin' phone without any hassles. :(

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

As of right now, nobody really knows how it's going to work.

I personally believe that ANYONE will be able to buy the new iPhone for $199 and $299 as long as they sign a new two-year agreement, and AT&T is holding back on those details so people planning on buying an iPhone won't buy another subsidized phone before it.

Remember, Apple still has an exclusive contract with AT&T for a reason, and they hold some leverage. I'd seriously doubt if Apple would allow there to be an iPhone sold for more than the base prices they announced.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You probably do qualify, but "when" is the most important factor to consider. Some current AT&T customers can only find out if they qualify for the 3G iPhone (subsidized) if they call AT&T via their phone by dialing 611, and asking the CSR to verify their eligibility. Once they give their decision, it will show up on your account, for all the other CSRs to see. I had to upgrade to a subsidized phone b/c I had a phone stolen, but they said it was a onetime upgrade that didn't extend my contract/agreement. That was (2.5) years ago, so keep your chin up. Good luck. :cool:

4. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

I called AT&T and they told me I could extend my contract for another two years so I will be doing this on July 11th. But I have a feeling I might not have to extend my contract based on info i've been hearing from other friends of mine who have called. You can be eligible if your current plan meets some sort of price point.

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Friends can be great for a lot of things, but sometimes they don't always give us the right information, just what we want to hear. you may want to stick with someone at AT&T who can actually look at your account.

6. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Generally, AT&T customers are eligible to upgrade on the 18th month of their 2 year agreement. So if your contract is up in December you should be able to get the new iPhone at launch.

7. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

The IPhone wouldn't count because it requires a NEW 2 year activation reflecting the new data charges..

From the CSR's I've talked to, if you've been a long time sub, have paid your bill on time, they will be allowing non G1 IPhone users to upgrade...

There's been some talk that a non-subsidized price for the IPhone 3G will be released which would apply to those who don't qualify for the upgrade..

But I believe it's all speculation at this point..