do i qualify for upgrade price still?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by okayjustin, Mar 5, 2009.

1. okayjustin macrumors member

my iphone was water damaged and i sold it off. if i was to buy another one in the store, i wouldn't get the 3G 8gig for 199 huh?

i figure i'd get it off of craigslist or something like that but everyone's price is so high, and i want the GPS so i don't want to go for the 2g..

or i was thinking maybe i should just for an unlocked g1..

EDIT:

I just checked my account on ATT WIRELESS. The other line on my account (the account is under my name) IS QUALIFIED for the upgrade price for the iphone. Maybe I can buy it for that number and then just switch SIMs..? will this work or are there tiny details that won't make it work that I'm not aware of..?

2. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If you had v1 iPhone, then that scenario would work. I just can't tell if you had v1 iPhone or 3G iPhone... :confused:

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

No problems, you just need to understand how the process works and that the line you are upgrading will be commiting to a new two year service contract with AT&T. You will also be resetting the voicemail on that line.

Once you upgrade the line, you will need to swap new SIM from the iPhone 3G back into the original phone on your "other" line. This is because once the iPhone 3G is activated on the line the old SIM will no longer work. Do you have contact (address book) information stored on that SIM?

You will need drop the iPhone 3G data plan on the line and then put your SIM into the iPhone 3G and call and add the iPhone 3G data plan to your line. You may be able to do this last step online using OLAM depending on how you line is provisioned. Put your SIM in the iPhone 3G and wait for it to register to the network and then login to OLAM and see if you can change your Features to select the iPhone 3G data plan.

You can also do this in the AT&T store with the right attitude and a helpful rep.:)

Dave

5. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

Switching SIM cards.. Remove DATA PLAN - problem?

Alright.. I'm sorry for the late reply.

I bought the phone for 199 with the "other" line (there are two lines on this family talk plan). Of course, they put the data plan on there for the iphone, but then I switched the SIM. I already have the DATA PLAN because I used to have an iphone on my own person line but it was lost and the data plan remained on there (for only half a month, or something like that).

But my problem now is that I have a DATA PLAN on the "other" line that I can't remove via online account manager. Will I run into problems calling customer service and telling them that this "other" line no longer has the iphone? Can they find out (and is it bad?) if I just used the "other" line for the discounted price and put my SIM in it?

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

You will need another phone's IMEI to get the data plan dropped. Just put the SIM from the iPhone that you want to drop the data plan into a non-iPhone and wait about 15 minutes for the system to update. Call Customer Care and ask them to remove the iPhone 3G data plan as the phone you are now using is not an iPhone. The rep will ask for the IMEI of the phone, just give it to the rep. You should also ask for all data to be blocked on this line so that you don't get charged PPU for any accidential data. The term for the data block is a WIX Block.

Please note that you will not have Visual Voicemail if you don't have the iPhone data plan. You will just have basic AT&T voicemail.

Dave

7. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

Well the thing is, I want to cancel the data plan on line #2 because I bought the iPhone for my line (line #1) but used the upgrade eligibility from line #2 to get the lower price.

I already put line #1's SIM into the iPhone bought for line #2. So the iPhone shows up under line #1's line now.

So, just to clarify..

I will take my SIM out of the iPhone and back into my original. I will call customer service from line #2's old phone and say that I no longer have the iphone and that I wanted cancel the data plan. They will ask for the IMEI number of line #2's original phone and they will cancel that data plan.

just as a side note: line #1 (me) used to have an iphone until it broke. there's still a data plan on there i hope they won't want to cancel that one too..?

thanks so far for you help! i appreciate it ..

8. cmbezln macrumors member

the iphone kinda fux **** up because it will automatically put the iphone data on the acct. as soon as you put your SIM and sync with itunes. So, typically....just switching the SIM is fine but if you use another lines upgrade itll put the iphone plan on it and when you switch you'll have to have them put a dummy IMEI or regular phone on the line you upgraded and sync your iphone w/ YOUR SIM in it. :apple::apple::apple::apple:

9. okayjustin thread starter macrumors member

Alright so I pretty much just need to call ATT and tell them that line #2 doesn't want the iphone anymore and tell them to take off that data plan and give them the IMEI of the palm treo line #2 already has.

then put my SIM into that iphone i didn't return and everything will be solved!

i hope this works..