Do I Qualify?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J B, Nov 10, 2008.

1. J B macrumors member

:apple: Hi again, i have asked this question in one of my other posts but seeing as it is important, i though i would start a new thread.

I am a freshman in high school who will be going to college (i dont have any actual proof, but i am 99% positive that i will be going)
    A lot of people keep telling me to use my "student discount" but i never thought i qualified. (If it helps, my mom is a part time teacher at a private school but im not sure if it is under the edu discount, or if that is allowed for her to use her discount for my MacBook). All advice greatly appreciated!:apple:

p.s.~ please help me with my other posts
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=597452
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=596903

Thanks in advance!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, you do not qualify for the Ed discount, only college students.

I'm not sure how it would work for your mom, since she only works at the school part time.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You do not technically qualify for the EDU discount until you are officially enrolled. Your acceptance letter may work though because honestly, I don't think they care much. In order for some sales rep to give me $100 off my MacBook on account of some "good deed" I did in the store to help another customer, he used my old school and gave me a discount that way. He actually used the school I graduated from in 2006, not the one I graduated from in 2008. Go figure. ;)

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I believe you need to be enrolled in a college at the time of purchase. I think it's kind of an honor system when you order online, but when you go to the store you need to present them with proof, like an ID or something.

5. Eric Noa macrumors 6502

Eric Noa

If you buy it online there is no need to send in proof, you just pick the school you are going to go and thats its. Online they don't need proof. Now if you go to the store they will ask you for an ID. At least thats what I had to show them when I went to the store. But online you don't

6. J B thread starter macrumors member

Do people actually just rip Apple off like that? I mean ovbiously I would love to save an easy $150 but i dont know if i actually would just staight out lie. Do people do that/can apple ever track you down and punish you?

also.... what if one of my parents who went to college used that as an edu discount? Do u have to actually be going to college or can you plan on going/allready have gone there

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If you read all the fine print you will see that Apple does reserve the right to audit all online education purchases and will charge you the discount if it turns out that you were not eligible. I've never seen proof of this actually happening.

That being said, your Mom is eligible, as according to Apple's terms: "Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible."

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Indeed. And yes, she can use her discount to buy your computer, although keep in mind she is limited to 1 portable computer discount per year.

9. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

I'm going to bring my student ID and be really nice. Maybe me bring in Middle School will be OK. My sister graduated from collage last year and maybe she can come along with her collage ID also, just in case. The discount is $150, right?

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

You need to be an active student with an active ID in a higher education institution. They won't grant you the discount.

11. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

Won't hurt to try, I can be very polite, lol

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can try, but rules are rules. I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you; I've never heard of Apple granting edu discounts to those who didn't qualify.

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

Just don't get your hopes up. The last time I walked into that store (*shudders*) to get my mouse replaced, I saw at least two people get turned down trying to get the discount when they didn't qualify.

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I didn't have this problem - I took my wife with me to the Apple Store (she's a full-time elementary school teacher) to use her discount, and the worker who checked us out went to enter her school's name in the computer during the purchase, but since he didn't want to scroll down far enough to find her school he simply took the school (from the same school district) at the top of his list. We had her official school ID with us, but nobody ever asked to see it.

Overall, he seemed totally willing to just take her word for it, he wasn't really interested in having us prove it to him.

15. rtmadden macrumors regular

16. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

in the US online Apple store you can put in a k-12 school, i don't know if the discount is the same as a US college, but i can put in my high school and it shows a little bit lower prices but nothing that great.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's for faculty and staff ...

18. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

haha whoops i didn't even notice this: "I am a K-12 teacher, administrator, or staff member." i've never bought anything with that discount anyways though.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

As others have said you qualify when you receive the acceptance letter.

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

My wife (elementary school teacher) and I have done it both ways - indeed, they did not ask for anything online other than for her to select her school's name. In the store, they asked her for her school's district but then the salesperson just entered the first school on the list, and did not ask her to produce any ID or anything.

My guess is the OP's mother would qualify, since I believe even staff at a school qualifies - might want to check, though.

21. BayouBengal macrumors regular

If your mom has an ID that says she's faculty or staff of the school then you should be golden. My faculty/staff ID worked for me, it's a university ID, but Faculty/Staff was good enough for a discount.

22. Chim3ra macrumors member

Chim3ra

you can use your acceptance letter as a means of getting discount.

23. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Not true. Apple does random verification checks, and they will hold your order until you send them documentation. The odds of it are random and probably slim, but there is still a chance.