Do I really need 4GB VRAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yoshimura, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Yoshimura, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

Yoshimura macrumors regular

I will replace my Mac mini 2012 (2.3 GHz, Quad Core i7, Fusion drive, 16GB) with the new MacBook Pro 15" (2.6GHz, 512GB) and I'm wondering if the additional VRAM of the 460 dGPU would be beneficial.

My computer is mainly used for iOS app development which mean using Xcode, sometime Photoshop/Illustrator to create graphics assets and once in while, iMovie to create App Preview (short 1080p videos). I also have a VM that runs permanently to execute old version of program like Office, Mathcad or TurboCad. Oh, I some time need to do light web development.

My mini work perfectly well for what I'm doing. The only time I could have wish more performance is when I generate an App Preview video.

Considering this, I assume that the power of the Pro 450 would be more than enough (it scores over 40,000 in openCL benchmark while my current mini scores around 6,000). However, I really don't know if the additional VRAM of the 460 could be beneficial or if it will just reduce the battery autonomy.

I almost forget... It will mostly used in clamshell mode with two 1980x1200 monitors. And beside chess, I never play games.

Many thanks!

2. Yoshimura thread starter macrumors regular

3. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I have the same 2012 Mini :). If your mini is cutting now (or was recently), the the 2G dGPU would blow it away and serve well. However, if cash isn't a big barrier, given future use and longevity, I'd opt for the 4G if I could swing it.

4. Qwe9203 macrumors member

Might want to wait on that, looks like the AMD GPUs are having issues.

5. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

"My mini work perfectly well for what I'm doing"

Why change? This never ending upgrade thing fascinates me. "What I have now works great, but I want upgrade"....

6. Yoshimura thread starter macrumors regular

To be able to work off site. :)

7. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

A 7-fold improvement in benchmarks isn't just a minor upgrade for no reason.