Do I really need 8GB of RAM ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by comics addict, Nov 1, 2013.

?

Should I stick with my current RAM setup ?

1. No

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Yes

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. comics addict, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

comics addict macrumors 6502a

I have a 13-inch cMBP that came with 4GB of memory. Since I used to run a VM of Windows on my Mac I figured that I should upgrade my RAM to 8. I got a pretty good deal out of it so I did. But slowly the need for running the VM has stopped where altogether I no longer need to have a separate OS on my machine at all and so it got me thinking. If my current usage consists of word processing, web surfing, checking & composing e-mails, connecting my notebook to external HDTVs via a mini Displayport adapter for extending my screen real-state & consuming media content ( playing music & HD video from the iTunes Store) should I strongly consider going back to my 4GB of memory and sell my current pair that total 8GB of memory and recoup some of that cost ?

In my experience, the Activity Monitor on both 10.8 & 10.9, isn't very helpful given that it ends up using my 8 GB of RAM for cache purposes so it makes it look inflated but should there be something else that I should consider from it before deciding on a course of action ?

PS: Sorry but forgot to mention that I am currently running OS X 10.9 Mavericks for my Mac.

2. MaulRx Suspended

I can't imagine you spent too much on that 8GB or that you could get much back reselling it. So I would say keep it. You might not have needed it now but you have it and might need it in the future.

3. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

Er, keep it. Why are you even questioning it? Seriously.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Lol...8GB's is the bare minimum these days, keep it because in the future you'll probably need it. Also for VM's I'd say 8-12GB's of RAM is the MINIMUM.

5. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would you say if 8GB is the bare minimum nowadays ? Could you fill me in ? Personally I don't think that I push this computer to it's limit... :eek:

6. ezekielrage_99, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

More memory is generally better, you'll get a better life from the system overall and if you decided to sell it's better for the resale.

7. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get that but isn't there a point where a non-demanding user doesn't experience any sort of improvement by just upping the memory ? This is at the heart of this debate. Wether I stick with what I already have or sell it and recoup my costs since I am not sure I am benefitting from it.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

That is a good point, if the usage isn't there then logically selling the 8GB isn't a half bad option. The only question I would be asking regarding this is for how long you intend getting our of the computer system? I believe then it will give you the right answer.

The other option would be to sell and in the future bump up the ram when it has dropped in price (let's say 2 years) when you may need more memory.

For my usage I prefer to get a much memory in the system as I can, I generally look at getting 3.5-5 years out of a system before updating thus in the long run the memory is worth the additional costs.

9. comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

I plan to stick around with my current machine for a good long while. Say 4 or 5 years. Already purchased a SSD to go along for the ride. :)

10. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

You've already experience one unforeseeable change in your computer usage that means you no longer require the 8GB but who's to say there's not another unforeseeable change coming that will mean you do need the 8GB again?

Keep it, you never know for sure what you'll be using that computer for.

11. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

You'll get a minimal return selling the 8Gb. Keep it.

12. Bear macrumors G3

You won't recoup that much and when(not if) you need to buy memory again in the future it will cost you more.

Based on this keep the 8GB.