Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Hey everyone.

So I really don't want to get/use a case with my Iphone 3G because I love how slim it is and the sleekness of its looks. I use an anti-glare film, and I'm really happy. I have and use the Sena ultraslim pouch for the gym to toss in my bag, but that doesn't really suffice in terms of carrying it in my pocket, checking my phone, etc.

However, I can't deny that I'm worried that if I drop my phone, it will crack on its backside or even break the phone somehow.

Does anyone have any experience of dropping their 3G without a case? Any good or bad stories? If I do get a case, I'm thinking about the Incase Slider because I want something slim, subtle looks wise, and not rubber. Will I feel the phone vibrate in my pocket with this case?

Let me know your thoughts/experiences. Thanks!!!

Tokiopop

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2008
West Yorkshire, UK
Well, I suppose cases are to prevent scratches. In some cases, it's the protect the phone when dropped, but tbh I don't think many people drop their phone that often, I might have dropped my old one once or twice in the 3 and ahalf years I had it?

Unless you're really bothered about scratches, and don't have butterfingers, there's really no point in one. You could always just get one of those InviSheild things? (or whatever they're called...) :rolleyes:

robbrick

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Get the slider

I own an Incase Slider case and here is why I like it the most:

It makes my phone just a tad bulkier, so that when I pull it out of my pocket to use it, it does not feel like it's going to slip out of my hands and onto the floor. The case gives it a little more heft, this keeping the slimness of the phone, but making it more easily usable than a naked iPhone. Also, sometimes I want to just set it down on a table or something and I can do that now without worrying if something on the table will scratch it. Overall, I have used the phone with and without a case and I prefer the case over non-cased.

Get the Incase Slider case. You will not regret it. Excellent case. And no, I do not work for Incase.

mr-macintosh

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
go with Bodygaurdz. relatively cheap and will last the life of your device (or so the website says) they also provide a ore "grippy" matte feeling and are scratch proof. I was in search for the perfect case for months but as soon as I installed Bodygaurdz the search was over, I LOVE these things.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I say no. I got mine July 12th, and haven't put a case on it. I haven't dropped it once and there aren't any scratches.

Maybe not any scratches, but I bet your bezel is nicked in more that one place. Impossible for it not to be, as it is very soft metal.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Hey everyone.

So I really don't want to get/use a case with my Iphone 3G because I love how slim it is and the sleekness of its looks. I use an anti-glare film, and I'm really happy. I have and use the Sena ultraslim pouch for the gym to toss in my bag, but that doesn't really suffice in terms of carrying it in my pocket, checking my phone, etc.

However, I can't deny that I'm worried that if I drop my phone, it will crack on its backside or even break the phone somehow.

Does anyone have any experience of dropping their 3G without a case? Any good or bad stories? If I do get a case, I'm thinking about the Incase Slider because I want something slim, subtle looks wise, and not rubber. Will I feel the phone vibrate in my pocket with this case?

Let me know your thoughts/experiences. Thanks!!!

I've been bothered by the same question when I bought my iPhone since I'm really careful with my stuff, especially gadgets. But after reading a lot of real life stories/threads/forums, it is really nearly impossible to not drop your iPhone no matter how careful you are, there will be always a circumstance.

So far I had one accidental fall, that was after I washed my hands, reached down for my pocket to grab the iPhone and it slipped out of my hand - and thank goodness I had a case.

So I really recommend for you to have a case. I own Griffin's iClear and Switcheasy's CapsuleNeo and I must say both are really good.

candyman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I am one of the "naked" iPhone 3G owners. I feel the same way about the look of the phone. I love the design so much I didn't want to cover it up. I have put on the anti-glare screen protector an bought one of these Suede Jacket cases to keep the phone in when I am not using it. I love it. It is soft and easy to take the phone in and out and still fits easily in pockets.

Fortunately, I have yet to have any mishaps with my iPhone. At this point though, I bought the phone because I want to enjoy it, not keep it stored in a box or so protected that it just becomes like any other ugly box phone. A few nicks and scratches are not going to bother me as it was not an investment purchase for myself.

If I were going to recommend any case though, I would have an InCase Slider again. I had one on my 1st gen iPhone, and it was a great case.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I am one of the "naked" iPhone 3G owners. I feel the same way about the look of the phone. I love the design so much I didn't want to cover it up. I have put on the anti-glare screen protector an bought one of these Suede Jacket cases to keep the phone in when I am not using it. I love it. It is soft and easy to take the phone in and out and still fits easily in pockets.

Fortunately, I have yet to have any mishaps with my iPhone. At this point though, I bought the phone because I want to enjoy it, not keep it stored in a box or so protected that it just becomes like any other ugly box phone. A few nicks and scratches are not going to bother me as it was not an investment purchase for myself.

I got a good laugh from your post. You claim your iPhone is naked, yet you have a screen protector on it, AND keep it in a Suede Jacket ALL the time. That is so far from naked as you can get. Jacket, Case, they are all the same.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Power Support Air Jacket

Hey Guys.

Just a follow up. Ended up getting the Power Support Air Jacket case in Black. So far, so good. It's matte black, provides a really solid grip. I went to the Apple store and tried a bunch of cases.

I really did not like the Incase Slider. When I put it on my Iphone, it started to mess with my anti-glare film. Plus I hated how it covered the chrome bezel.

Tried the Power Support Air Jacket and loved it. Super slim, clamps on the back. Easy to take off. I pray that if I drop the phone, this will protect it. I think it will. Can't say the Incase Slider was any thicker or better protection wise. Maybe it was, but I love this case. So I hope it works out.

candyman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I got a good laugh from your post. You claim your iPhone is naked, yet you have a screen protector on it, AND keep it in a Suede Jacket ALL the time. That is so far from naked as you can get. Jacket, Case, they are all the same.

Yes, I may keep it in a case/sleeve/jacket (whatever you wish to call it) when it is not in use, such as in my pocket while I'm in a store shopping, not ALL the time.

However, when I am on the phone, watching a movie, playing games, listening to music, texting, etc. the phone is far from protected as there is nothing on it other than the screen protector. So, if it slips out of my hands, I drop it, or slide it across a desk, it is not protected. So, yes, the phone is naked.

The anti-glare film on the face is just for that purpose, for the anti-flare and anti-fingerprints that you get just by touching the glass. It makes seeing and using the screen so much easier. Not going to offer much protection if I should drop it onto a marble table from 4 feet!

I'm glad I could provide some humor. Glad to see my input was taken lightly!

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
One vote for a case...

I use the Griffin Elan case for my 3G. Have since day 1. A couple weeks back, I left the screen protector that came from Griffin off if it for a couple days (the rest of the case was still on), and got one scratch in the glass.

I put the plastic protector right back on.

I can't help but think of what would have happened to the back of the iPhone had the same object scratched that instead of the glass. Anyway, the plastic protector is all scratched up, and now I know why!

I'm still looking for a good, secure belt holster. It has to be black, and be very secure to my belt, and the phone must be very securely held in. Recommendations appreciated!

:apple::apple:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I used my iPod touch without a case for a year before buying my iPhone. Now I wish I had put a case on the iPod touch, since it would have fetched a higher resale value if it were free of scratches.

First thing I did when I bought my iPhone was buy a case to go with it. Just a cheap silicon cover, but it'll keep the thing from getting scratched like my iPod touch.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I resisted using a case for a while. I bought an Air Jacket (black) and have been very happy. It's tiny.

I tried to take it off and go without, but I've found that going back to the naked case it tough. I like the feel and grip of the matte finish. The high-gloss plastic of the phone looks nice, but man it is slick.

deadsouls

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
i wanted to 'enjoy' the sleekness of the iphone and kept it naked as well. ended up dropping it and now the screen has cracks all over it. lesson learned.

PAH Mac

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
You could get one of those Squaretrade warranties (there is a thread around here somewhere). That way if you do drop your phone and really ruin it, you can simply get a replacement. Personally I like the feel of the phone with a Slider case on. It can't compete with the naked phone in terms of appearance but I feel much more comfortable with a case on.

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I use the Griffin Elan case for my 3G. Have since day 1. A couple weeks back, I left the screen protector that came from Griffin off if it for a couple days (the rest of the case was still on), and got one scratch in the glass.

I put the plastic protector right back on.

I can't help but think of what would have happened to the back of the iPhone had the same object scratched that instead of the glass. Anyway, the plastic protector is all scratched up, and now I know why!

I'm still looking for a good, secure belt holster. It has to be black, and be very secure to my belt, and the phone must be very securely held in. Recommendations appreciated!

:apple::apple:

Have you checked out the Speck Quickdraw? http://www.speckproducts.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.