Do I really need a MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ByteTheBooty, Mar 30, 2015.

1. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

And I want to run
    CAD, DiTrace, AutoDesk and similar animation and coding software (for Engineering Program), Do I absolutely need the Pro? Or could I run them on the new Macbook? I know its for sure not going to be fast as if it was a Pro, but do you guys think it would be still manageable?

Thanks In Advance!

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

You definitely need the Pro and possible the 15" model for better experience.

3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If you run one app at a time and maybe a browser (as a light second app), it should work ok. The CPU is what will hold you back, as it will slow down a lot when it gets hot (no fan). Unless you absolutely need the thinness and smaller weight you are much better off to buy the Pro as it is similar in price with more power (and it is guaranteed to work well). The MacBook is not meant for your usage, so I hesitate to say it will be manageable.

The new Air is between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro (closer to the Pro) so maybe try that? The people with newer Airs seem happy with the performance on heavier apps, so it must not be that bad. The screen is not retina, but if you bump the ram you get equal or better specs to the MacBook.

Also consider if you need Windows for any of your apps (not everything has a Mac version). The MacBooks released in 2015 only support Windows 8 and above.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You definitely need a quad core i7 in the 15".
    And even the dGPU also.

But if I were you I'd wait until Brodawell-H/Skylake-S models come out later this year. The current 750M is too old.

5. mikec999 macrumors newbie

mikec999

Ram

Whatever model you choose, you may also want to do some planning around your RAM needs. Frustrating to pay up for a new Mac and have it constantly beach balling for lack of memory.

6. aodesigns macrumors member

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Yeah the nMB won't work for you. BUT, you can always try it risk free. In the US you get a 14 day return period and free shipping both ways.

But don't order it just to play with it. Only order it if you genuinely want to see if it's right for you.