Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I did a quick search to see if there is anybody in my situation but couldn't find anything.

Anyways, I have plans to get a new macbook ever since I broke my powerbook. If I do get a MBP, I will dip myself into quite a few games (Orange box, Spore, SC2). Having said that, the bad news is that I'm a poor college student and it turns out that I may not have the luxury.

What I want to know is do I need a pro regardless? Aside from your usual web surfing/email/etc, I will need it to for my assignments and projects. I'm a new computer science major and I'll be doing a whole lot of coding/programming (C++, javascript, etc) and I'll be teaching myself and using a lot of photoshop. That means I have to buy a drawing palette attachment on top of everything else.

This will become my main computer and the greedy troll inside me wants to best. I do enjoy video games but work unfortunately comes first. Maybe regular macbooks can handle games mentioned above?

Someone give me advice!

(On a side note, does anyone know any programs for C++ coding? I can't seem to find one for mac.)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Get the pro. The expence to start, will pay off by having a relevant comptuer when you graduate (so you can use the first year out of school paying down debts).

XCode works great for C, C++, and Java programming. Another solution is JGrasp which is also handy for all three. However, real UNIX nerds will just use vi built into the system, and use the XCode version of gcc for compiling.

TEG

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
An MBP. I find the matte (and bigger) screen makes more comfortable viewing for long term viewing.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I did a quick search to see if there is anybody in my situation but couldn't find anything.

Anyways, I have plans to get a new macbook ever since I broke my powerbook. If I do get a MBP, I will dip myself into quite a few games (Orange box, Spore, SC2). Having said that, the bad news is that I'm a poor college student and it turns out that I may not have the luxury.

What I want to know is do I need a pro regardless? Aside from your usual web surfing/email/etc, I will need it to for my assignments and projects. I'm a new computer science major and I'll be doing a whole lot of coding/programming (C++, javascript, etc) and I'll be teaching myself and using a lot of photoshop. That means I have to buy a drawing palette attachment on top of everything else.

This will become my main computer and the greedy troll inside me wants to best. I do enjoy video games but work unfortunately comes first. Maybe regular macbooks can handle games mentioned above?

Someone give me advice!

(On a side note, does anyone know any programs for C++ coding? I can't seem to find one for mac.)

Get the Pro. Just get it....a MB will be crap with Orange Box and the coding/programming that you were saying.

If you are on a tight budget...Apple is selling the previous models (Santa Rosa) 2.4GHz 256MB 8600GT for like $1650. That is a sweet deal. The 2.2GHz is only $1450. Its like a steal!!!

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
you should check out the refurb page because those MacBook pros are significantly cheaper.

ChrisN

I've been refreshing all day waiting for them to put back on the refurb site a 2.4 glossy MBP (15.4). I hope they post more late tonight.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
I've been refreshing all day waiting for them to put back on the refurb site a 2.4 glossy MBP (15.4). I hope they post more late tonight.

I did not notice how fast those things go, on Tuesday I saw atleast 4 different models of the 15 inch now there is just one. What a steal.

ChrisN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.