Do I really need a new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgartner0622, Jun 6, 2010.

1. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Hello Everyone!

I'm just wanting some input on my current setup.
    I currently have the upgraded 13" Pro from the first generation (2.53GHz 4GB Ect.)
    At home, I use this plugged into an older Apple Cinema Display (23") with Apple Keyboard and mouse (Wireless)
    I use it for internet browsing and light gaming, although I do occasionally play demanding games with it such as bioshock.
    I recently put it up on ebay, and am almost regretting that decision.
    I was thinking about buying a new iMac, but I realized since I have my cinema display, I might just buy a new Pro 15". I only have enough money to buy the 2.4 i5 Model, and I was just wondering, in my typical usage, will I see a worthwhile improvement over my current model.
    I really have no reason to get rid of it, aside from better performance.
    All I'm wondering is anyone's input on what I should do. Sure, a new MBP would be nice, however I'd save some money by not buying one, do you think I really need a better model for my typical usage.
    Thanks!

Also-
    I keep my notebook vertically on my desk on a vertical laptop stand. The fan usually starts up about after an hour of use. Are there any ways I could lower the temp of the unit?

Thanks for your time everyone! :apple:

2. iTootyFrooty macrumors member

Unless you want to play more demanding games than you are currently playing, there would be no point. A new MBP would be nice, but the fact is that when a Macbook Pro line comes out with a new innovative feature in the future, you're going to be kicking yourself by saying "I wish I didn't blow that money on a new Macbook Pro when I didn't even need it". Unless of course, your fortunate enough to be in a healthy financial state :p. As I see it, there's no real point unless you need to, which I don't think you do.

3. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Are you really looking for advice? Or are you just jumping on here to help sell your system on eBay?

4. Stokes macrumors regular

Clever way to get more exposure to your auction.

5. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Not a exposure deal.

Sorry about that... This was not to get more exposure. I have since deleted the link.

Anyway, do you think that the system I currently have will be supported for OS updates and the like until my AppleCare ends (( July 2012) when I USUALLY buy a new computer) or is it wiser to sell now and buy a new i5 or i7 unit.
    By supported, i mean as in Apple OS Updates, Adobe CS versions, and iLife suites...
    Thanks! :)

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah definitely. Macs are typically supported by OS updates and most major software packages for at least three years, and often longer. Even the latest G4 and G5 machines got a good 4 years before you started to see support drop off (and technically, Leopard still gets critical updates and is supported by current software packages).

7. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Thanks!
    That's what I was beginning to think. Although I think the crippling factor of my computer would have to be the graphics card. Even using Photoshop or iMovie for awhile gets the fan running, and I see the graphics speed start to slide. Compared to other computers i've used, mine seems to lag behind. (I've mainly used a 24" 3.06GHz Nvidia 8800GMS iMac)
    If there is someone out there who has used both my card (nvidia 9400m) as well as a newer 330 (the one that is in the new i5 Macbook Pro):
    Is the difference noticable, or just the same in day to day work?
    Thank you!

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Day to day work you're not going to really see a difference, since most of the time, a new MBP will be running on the Intel HD graphics anyway. But for games, obviously the new card will allow you to put it on higher settings and such.

As far as the fans and such go, it'll be the same no matter which card you go with. I play WoW on my MBP with the 330M 512MB and fans still ramp up to 6000rpm just like it did on my 2008 MacBook with the 9400M. It's because the fans cool the CPU, which gets pretty hot when playing games or doing anything else intensive.

9. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622