Do I really need a new MBP 17" screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rosiejohnson100, Dec 18, 2009.

1. rosiejohnson100 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    New on here, so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.
    The other day, whilst happily photoshopping away my eye bags my screen on my 10.5.8 Macbook Pro went 'funny' - basically- every other vertical line appears to be missing/black making it almost impossible to read text. I'm now viewing in a blurry 1024 by 640. I tried PRAM but no luck. Went to my local apple store earlier and he said he'd never seen the problem before but it's def the screen at fault as he tried an external monitor which worked. Problem is a replacement will cost £395. I don't have £395
    This is my last desperate attempt at finding an alternative.
    Please please help if you can :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Which macbook do you have? Nothing is going to cost you that much.

There's a 50/50 chance the particular issue you are having is caused by a poor part, or physical damage.

I have one 17" screen left I need to liquidate. If the model you have is the model I need to get rid of, I'd fix this for you for the cost of the screen itself + shipping, just to be rid of it. If not, I'd be happy to direct you to a source for the LCD of your needs and some instructions on what to do.

4. rosiejohnson100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow

You guys are great! Haven't tried reinstalling, will give that a go.

Amazing offer to sell me a screen, thank you. What info do you need to exactly...imagine you're talking to a very simple person, then halve your expectations... that's me!

:)

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Is it a unibody model with black keys or an older model with silver keys?

Unfortunately on the 17" models there is no set system for what model # gets a CCFL backlit LCD and what model gets an LED backlit LCD.

The only way to tell what fits into your machine is to open it or run this program called SwitchResX and figure out what LCD is in it.

If the model that turns up is an LED backlit one for a non unibody machine(one with silver keys), then I can give you the part for what I paid and put it in for free. I just need to get rid of it. Or give you directions on what to do if you want to do it yourself.

But the directions differ based on model, so this info is important.

6. justit macrumors 6502a

:D

7. rosiejohnson100 thread starter macrumors newbie

great....oh, hang on

Happy new year!

reinstalled OSX and put data back on via time machine from my LaCie... ta da! screen is back to its former glory, however iphoto now won't open- it 'quits unexpectedly' so, now what?!!
    I've done a software update but no joy.. boo hoo! :confused: