Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEHi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
I got a new iphone 4 few days ago, coming from the HTC desire. (android wasn't that awesome after all, is just not ready to be used on phones yet ;) ). I know the iPhone 4 uses a "virtually unscratchable" glass, but my htc device had some sort of that screen as well and it got fine scratches after 3 months.

I want to use carbon fiber decals front and back plus a bumper case. So I need to know if anyone actually got their screen scratched.

Thanks

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I got a new iphone 4 few days ago, coming from the HTC desire. (android wasn't that awesome after all, is just not ready to be used on phones yet ;) ). I know the iPhone 4 uses a "virtually unscratchable" glass, but my htc device had some sort of that screen as well and it got fine scratches after 3 months.

I want to use carbon fiber decals front and back plus a bumper case. So I need to know if anyone actually got their screen scratched.

Thanks

Please search as there are already threads to answer your question and even more to answer which screen protector to go with if you find yourself asking that.

TEHi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Then it would be yes I do need a screen protector, many people got their screen scratched but most said they never had this problem. Just wanted to confirm that. The splash masque protectors are great I have them in my ipad.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Short answer: you'll get micro scratches after a while that can only been seen in direct light.

Screen protector question: search the forums. Personally, I don't use one as they make the retina display look bad. I've yet to see a perfectly clear one. That and I don't like the feel of them.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
Do you need a screen protector?

If you don't mind small surface scratches which will accumulate over time no matter how careful you are: NO

If you are a freak about your stuff, hate to see small/minor scratches and/or want an anti-glare or matte option: YES

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've never used a screen protector, and I've never had any of these "micro-scratches" or small surface scratches on any of my screens.

I've owned the 1st gen, 3GS, and the iP4.

However, I did just swap my iP4 at the Apple Store today due to wearing away of the oleophobic coating on the screen. I'm trying to decide if I should use a protector now in order to prevent this from happening again....... this actually happened on my 3GS as well.

QuarterSwede: I bought a set of protectors from Sw-box.com a while ago, specifically for the rear protector. I decided to put the front protector on tonight, and IMO, the screen looks as clear as it does without one. Not bad for $2.10.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
I've never used a screen protector, and I've never had any of these "micro-scratches" or small surface scratches on any of my screens.

I've owned the 1st gen, 3GS, and the iP4.

However, I did just swap my iP4 at the Apple Store today due to wearing away of the oleophobic coating on the screen. I'm trying to decide if I should use a protector now in order to prevent this from happening again....... this actually happened on my 3GS as well.

I've owned a 1st gen, 3G and currently an iP4 and have had the minor scratches appear on all of them. I consider myself to be fairly mindful when it comes to handling the phone (for example I never put my phone in the same pocket as keys or loose change). However all three devices accumulated a scratch or two somehow. So my point being is that while scratches are not guaranteed to happen without a screen protector, they are quite possible. "Your mileage may vary" as they like to say.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
i would say you need a screen protector, if you get a good one it will stick well and be crystal clear almost like nothing is there. i recomend power support products but there also alot of others out there depending on what would be best for you.

on my blog i have reviews up of the power support anti glare hd and i will have a wrapsol review and a crystal clear power support review up in next day or so. check it out ..

http://weisjttechhouse.blogspot.com/

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I use to waste my money on these things until one day I came to my senses. One, I spent more money replacing these things than I ever wanted. Two, they were actually taking money from me base on a false sense of security, because in reality they did absolutely nothing to further its use or enjoyment of it, in fact in most cases it dumbs down the users visual experience.
Everytime I got a scratch on the screen protector it rendered the screen visually usless. Also too I thought to myself "wow, good thing I had it on otherwise that would have been a scratch on my physical screen" and off I went to purchase yet another package of'em.

Lesson learned? After many phones over 3+ yrs I found that the screen is more resistant to scatches than the plastic film. Where the plastic fails the screen endures which means your phone will look worst more often with the plastic film applied than without.

Lesson two? Its just a phone that I will one day replace, probably sooner than later so why in the world would I settle for inferior looks through a scratchy/ orange peel etc film so that I can sell it to someone else later to finally enjoy what I refused myself of. Does that really really make any sense?

Have we really arrived to the time where we humans deify small hand held electronic devices that goes obsolete faster than most our attention spans....?
Yeah I believe so...

AlexDB9

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I use to waste my money on these things until one day I came to my senses. One, I spent more money replacing these things than I ever wanted. Two, they were actually taking money from me base on a false sense of security, because in reality they did absolutely nothing to further its use or enjoyment of it, in fact in most cases it dumbs down the users visual experience.
Everytime I got a scratch on the screen protector it rendered the screen visually usless. Also too I thought to myself "wow, good thing I had it on otherwise that would have been a scratch on my physical screen" and off I went to purchase yet another package of'em.

Lesson learned? After many phones over 3+ yrs I found that the screen is more resistant to scatches than the plastic film. Where the plastic fails the screen endures which means your phone will look worst more often with the plastic film applied than without.

Lesson two? Its just a phone that I will one day replace, probably sooner than later so why in the world would I settle for inferior looks through a scratchy/ orange peel etc film so that I can sell it to someone else later to finally enjoy what I refused myself of. Does that really really make any sense?

Have we really arrived to the time where we humans deify small hand held electronic devices that goes obsolete faster than most our attention spans....?
Yeah I believe so...

This.

My gf has a Power Support (which I installed) and to my knowledge that is the best screen protector on the market, yet I hold hers up to my naked phone and as clear as it may be, it's not the same and the way your finger slides across the screen, cannot be duplicated.

So what if you get a few scratches it's just a phone...an object. Plus the reasoning to keep it flawless to sell it when the iPhone 5 comes out is crazy to me. Like the poster above said, you are keeping it perfect.....for the next person to enjoy.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This.

My gf has a Power Support (which I installed) and to my knowledge that is the best screen protector on the market, yet I hold hers up to my naked phone and as clear as it may be, it's not the same and the way your finger slides across the screen, cannot be duplicated.

So what if you get a few scratches it's just a phone...an object. Plus the reasoning to keep it flawless to sell it when the iPhone 5 comes out is crazy to me. Like the poster above said, you are keeping it perfect.....for the next person to enjoy.

It's not really crazy. I sold my mint 32GB 3GS for $400 this past July. It wasn't even unlocked. The reason I was able to get so much was because it was in perfect condition. Sure, I didn't use a screen protector on it, but for those who may not be as careful/lucky as I was, a protector could only help.

Here is the reason I will be using a screen protector going forward:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Those are photos of my 3GS (prior to swapping it for a new one at the Apple Store last year). As you can see, the oleophobic coating was being worn down by use. At the time, I thought it was a fluke, but then it happened with my iPhone 4 (which I swapped on the weekend for a new one).

Here is an old MacRumors article about this issue: https://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/06/iphone-3gs-oleophobic-screen-coating-wearing-off/

As I stated above, I'm currently using a cheap $2.10 screen protector. There is no noticeable difference with the protector on or when it was off. Some screen protectors are better than others (even though they may cost much less).

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
I know the iPhone 4 uses a "virtually unscratchable" glass
This is a total lie.

The iPhone uses high quality materials but scratches rather easily. Mine lasted about a month before scratches appeared. I got nearly a full year from my iPhone 3GS without any scratches.

Yet that said, it's only a phone. No big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.