Do I really need a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BacklitFirefly, Nov 11, 2010.

1. BacklitFirefly macrumors 6502

I just upgraded to an iPhone 4, and got a backless Griffin Reveal Frame to give it that bumper effect -- but I also bought some anti-glare iFrogz screen protection film. I don't really like the way that makes my sweet new screen look. I hate seeing that there is a film on it.

I mean, the back is made of glass too, and I don't have a film on that.

Anyone use only a bumper and no screen protector? How is that going for you? Is the iPhone 4 very prone to scratches?

2. george6000 macrumors member

is glass strong? NO
    will it scratch? YES!!! big time

do you plan on selling your phone in a year or two?
    its up to you

3. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

oops, sorry if this belonged in the accessories forum.

4. BacklitFirefly thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, why did they make it out of flimsy, scratch-prone glass then? Geewhiz...

5. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

TL;DR - Yes!

6. cecoleman macrumors regular

I would if I were you for the same as an another poster. I want to sell my phone when the next iPhone comes out, it preserves the value. However, get rid of the Frogz. Go to SGPstore.com and get some crystal ones. They are awesome, go on bubble free (if you know what you are doing) and are un-noticable when aligned right. I have one on the front and back rocking the bumper case.

7. detoxguy macrumors member

It really depends on how hard on your phone you are. I've had iPhones from the 3G to 4 and no screen protectors on any of them. I do make sure there is nothing else in the pocket and no scratches at all. I also have been using a sena ultraslim pouch in the iPhone 4 since launch and the screen is perfect.

I've given up obsessing over wrapping a beautiful phone in plastic cases and films just so the next person who buys it off me has the opportunity to use it as intended. If there's a nick in it here and there and it loses some of it's resale value so be it. I am willing to eat the expense at upgrade time but that's just me.

If you are careful and willing to live with the consequences of a drop then you'll be fine without a screen protector.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

All depends on how careful you are with your phone. Couple co-workers use bumper only and have lots of small scratches on their phones. The anti-glare protectors are no good IMO since they take away from the beauty of the Retina Display. I'd suggest you get some clear protectors (front/back) off eBay. They're super cheap and will protect your phone from minor scratches. While screen protectors aren't "necessary" by any means, if you want to keep your phone looking good as the day you bought it, then yes, get some and you'll be happier in the long run.

9. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I only have a bumper on my iPhone 4 and I've had it since launch. The front and back are perfectly fine, not a scratch (even under direct sunlight). The bumper, though I'm unsure about the Griffin one), raises the iPhone just enough off the ground to keep it from scratching. Plus, I don't put anything else in my pocket with it.

HOWEVER, I do have scratches around the aluminum rim because of the bumper and dust getting stuck underneath. I clean it regularly, but it still seems to happen.

10. chanerz macrumors 6502a

11. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I personally would use a screen protector, I always have, always will. It pays off in the end. If I were you and I didn't want to put one on my screen and mess up the beautiful displays such as me, I'd buy the SGP Oleophobic Screen protector. Its the best of both worlds, a crystal clear screen protector, with the somewhat anti-finger print, and oil resistant film. If installed perfect, you can't even tell there is a screen protector on.

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I've tried quite a few screen protectors and I always end up removing them. I'm good without them. I just watch what's in my pockets if and when I put my phone in my pocket. Can't worry about the value of my phone for next year.