Do I Really NEED A Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by karleaglemac, Mar 11, 2009.

1. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Do I really NEED a screen protector?

I'm really starting to have some doubts. If Apple put so much thought and consideration into the design of the iPhone, you'd think that it wouldn't be that big of a deal if you don't have the screen protected. They would have the foresight to think, "people are going to put their iPhone in their pocket, let's make sure the screen can stand up to a set of keys, jeans, change, etc."

Like many others, I've got the matte black Incase Slider, which I love. I can understand the use of a case for protecting the backside from scratches and impact. But as you also probably know, unless you have an SGP, Steinheil, or Power Support screen protector, it's likely to bubble up on the sides. It looks like crap! Why even use it?!

What are your thoughts?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the screen can get scratched so its up to you if you want to protect it or not

my ipod touch has a scratch from a grain of sand that was in my pocket

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

yes.. and you will completely FORGET that its on there after a day anyways.. I didnt want to put ANYTHING on my phone at first.. but i scratched the screen so i decided it was time to add a film to it..

Best thing i could have done.. I am now selling that phone, and i took the film of to take pictures and WOW.. that film was scratched to hell and made the phone feel like crap because of it.. when the film came off, there was NO scratches or any issues..

if you live in a place where there's sand, you WILL scratch your phone's face.. I dropped myphone, put it in a pocket book with keys and other scratchy type items and NOTHING happend.. I put it down somewhere where there was 3-4 gains of sand and scratched instantly.

4. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Okay, after doing some research I've changed my mind. I'm convinced.

Anyone have any extra Power Support or SGP Anti-Fingerprint/Glare screen protectors to fit with my Slider case?

5. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

This is gonna kinda sound like a smart a** remark but it is the first thing that popped into my head.... Do you really need car insurance? No, that is until you have a accident. Just get the screen protector. I have gone through three. The first one I had was the normal shiny screen protector and I removed it because it bugged me by how many finger prints were always on it. So I put the Anti-Glare screen protector on and loved it, almost 100% finger print free... About a month ago I was like hmmm, I want to try the old one again, so I put it on...WOW after having the Anti Glare protector on(Which dims/dulls the screen considerably) it was like going from video tapes with a VCR to BluRay haha...I'm loving it now, I forgot how nice the screen is on our phones.
    So if you can stand it start with the shiny one. If you want no finger prints go for the anti glare and then a few months from now when you start getting bored with your phone take it off and go back to the shiny one and its like the first day with your phone all over again! Nice shiny screen! I know, I'm a nerd:D
    http://tinyurl.com/dcpcf5
    Thats the Anti-Glare
    http://tinyurl.com/cm2y85
    Thats the shiny one

***EDIT: I saw your post above mine...I have a white slider case and it all works together just fine. I've also has the rubber incase case, and a clear back cover case(cant think of the name) They all work with the Power Support shields.***

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My iPod touch 1G had no scratches on the screen. I even dropped it a few times.

7. Tragedies macrumors 6502

No, you don't, but it's worth just putting it on and having that extra piece of mind. And when the time does come that you see a scratch, you'll be damn glad you put a protector on.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Except that screen covers scratch a hell of a lot easier than the screen itself does. Kind of defeats the purpose, right?

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

It honestly depends on the person you are

A) IF you take care of your electronics and are extremely careful you do not need a screen protector

b) If you take care of your electronics, but don't mind the occasional scratch, you don't need a screen protector

c) You hate the look of screen protectors, and like going Naked you don't need a screen protector

compared to

d) You take care of your electronics but you don't want to scratch your screen, then get a scratch protector

e) You abuse your electronics, like "tossing" your iphone in your bag, etc, then you need a scratch protector

There are other categories, OCD, etc etc but I think most people fit into those categories

10. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

The glass on the iPhone is super-hard and resistant to scratches, you don't need a protector for it unless you plan to throw it in a drawer full of sharp knives and razor blades.

I have a case, no screen protector, and have put my phone in my pocket with keys and coins, and dropped it several times, and there's not a single scratch on the glass. It's still perfect.

Screen protectors can yellow, bubble, peel, and make the screen less responsive. I've yet to see an iPhone with a screen protector that didn't look like it had a screen protector on it, because they are rarely put on perfectly without bubbles or dust under them.

So my advice: Don't bother!

11. jackryan57 macrumors regular

I HATE screen protectors, but I bought the ivy skin cover for my phone. Hard plasctic back and case and a plastic cover over the screen - LOVE IT!

Protects the screen and the touch screen works perfectly through the cover.

12. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

As has been said previously, sand is like the kryptonite to this phone. It's the main thing I've noticed can easily scratch the screen.

And some screen protectors (such as the InvisibleShield, etc.) don't show any scratches whatsoever due to their unique texture. I love mine.

13. Knolly macrumors 6502a

No, you don't.

I've had my 3G for 6+ months without a case or any screen protector and there are ZERO scratches on the screen. There are little hairline scratches on the back that I really don't care about, but the screen is fine.

Truth be told, I'm thinking of putting a protector on it though because I had one on my old iPhone and it greatly prevented smudges and grease and such.

14. JadeKyle macrumors newbie

Don't Waste The Time

I am by far the most OCD individual I know. 1200 alphabetized DVDs, all boxes from all electronic devices saved for whatever reason, etc... A screen protector user for years on all devices, but will not use one on my iPhone. This glass screen is HIGHLY resistant to scratches. Unless you plan on reselling the phone in the future, and need absolute perfection, its a waste. A silicon skin to protect the back and sides is nice, but the front screen after 9 months, (launch day), have yeilded no scratches what-so-ever on my 3G. A protector of course can be switched out after a scratch occurs, but let's face it...we spend months looking at the same, usually air-bubbled protecter with many scratches on it. The glass screen gets one scratch and we are let down...why, cause now we have to look at one scratch from now until we recycle to the next iPhone. For my money, waste of time and cash.

15. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i don't know anyone who has a screen protector. mind you i have an incase (which suck i don't recommend them) which has an outer bevel taller than the glass screen.

but i don't have one scratch on the screen - nor do any of my buddeez

16. mrXniick macrumors member

I did not buy my screen protector to prevent scratches...

I legitimately like the look and feel of the anti-glare better than the bare screen.

17. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

It's glass...... I doubt it. I don't use one and I only have scratches on the back plastic part.

I hate plastic. :mad:

18. Morphkid03 macrumors newbie

I have an InvisibleShield by ZAGG on the front of my iPhone and an Incase black rubber case (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8949454&type=product&id=1215819842828) that covers the back and sides.
    Yes, they were a little pricey. But I could REALLY mess with my screen and it won't leave a scratch, plus the back is completely protected and given a little shock absorption. I'm all for over-protecting my electronics- I'd rather be safe then sorry.
    I basically don't feel the InvisibleShield and the rubber helps me grip the phone better, so no complaints in that department, either. :)

I kept my old iPod in a silicone case with plastic front cover, bought it when I bought the iPod. The iPod lasted 3 years, had been dropped too many times to count and was generally treated rough. Never had an issue. It's still useable now, the only problem with it is the earphone "dock" will only let sound out of one earbud if you plug it all the way in, you have to keep it loosely in to be able to hear out of both earbuds. This is the case with any ear phones I use on it. I was told it was not caused by anything but heavy use from the good people at the Genius Bar. You take off that silicone cover? Thing looks BRAND NEW.

So in the end: Do you NEED one? No.
    IMO, SHOULD you get one? Most definitely.

19. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

No screen protector on my first gen iPhone
    No screen protector on my current iPhone 3G
    No scratches on either screen(s).

20. SuperKat macrumors regular

Have To Say Yes

I have the anti-glare on my iPhone. Very easy to apply and it came with 5 shields so you have extras.
    Most of them have the ability to be peeled up and re-applied in case of bubbles or misalignment. I slowly placed it down while smoothing it out from the top with a cleaning cloth. No prints, no bubbles.

21. jbutterfill macrumors newbie

no screen protector

I treat my phone badly, regularly do DIY with it in my pocket, cycle with it etc and I have some very small and superficial scratches on it, the ones you can only see at particular angles of light. The way I see it is - by the time it has too many scratches (i.e. one and a half years or so) it will probably be close to the time I get a new phone - I'm not so concerned about the re-sale value though.

22. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I love my Anti-Glare screen protector. I got it from the Apple store along with my matte black Incase Slider and they work great. I have no bubbles on my screen protector and really the only way you can tell I have it on is because of the anti-glare which is great!

Also, to the guy complaining about the Incase Sliders bevel being higher than the glass, how is that not a plus? If you drop your phone directly onto it's face the case will take the force.

Just my thoughts.

23. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Zagg Invisible Shield, best investment ever! If you take your time with the install you won't even know its there; I hate the bulk of a case and this protects against scratches great, fingerprints are not as noticeable on it either. Definitely worth the money.

24. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I just order my invisishield, can't wait to install it. I hate the bulk of cases.