Do I really need a SleeveCase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SR71, Mar 3, 2011.

1. SR71 macrumors 68000

I plan on getting a SleeveCase for my MBA, but now that I think about it... I don't know if I really need it.

You see, here's the thing... I'll be taking my MBA with me up to NH when I go on snowboarding trips (usually every week/2 weeks) and I have a spare backpack that I can put it in along with any adapters, and when I get to NH, the only time I'll be using it is at my house up in NH. I will not be bringing it with me out of the house around the town or anything. I will not be moving it out of the house other than to bring it back into the car for the ride back home after my snowboarding trips are over.

There is also the chance that in the summer/spring I will also be going on vacation around those times where a SleeveCase would also come in handy to protect/keep the MBA safe, but since I already have a backpack I don't know if if that will already be enough protection as is.

So, what do you guys think I should do?

Thanks in advance. ;)

2. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Bump. Come on guys I need some help with this.

3. Hotherps macrumors newbie

Well I'd want a sleeve of some sort. Putting it into a rucksack that you are probably using for carrying other gear either at the same time or not is bound to lead to dust / dirt/ food crumbs etc. finding their way onto / into your MBA.

Carrying adapters, plugs leads etc in the same rucksack could also cause rub marks.

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

I have a case for my MBP which just stays in my bag all the time, so it's not getting hit by chargers and other stuff. I can slip the laptop in in and out easily that way. But if you don't do that much traveling then probably not much point

5. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, in my backpack there are multiple pockets. The MBA would go in the biggest pocket while the power cables and such would go in a smaller pocket and they would not be making any contact while in the backpack.

Forgot to include that info in my first post, sorry.

6. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

For years I've taken a Mac Mini and different 20" plus screens to different places all wrapped in jerseys etc and never damaged them one bit.

That said now I have a case with straps and take the Air with me all over the place.

7. pelinca macrumors newbie

best option for me is : sleeve + backpack :)
    a have my MBA for almouse 2 years and it's like new

8. ttate90303 macrumors regular

Like others have said just for the added protection in a backpack to protect it from other gear, bumps and bruises (it is metal and can get dinged). A sleeve for under $40 is just peace of mind. Your call in the end.

9. SR71, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone! I'll be ordering either a Booq Viper Hardcase or a SleeveCase from SFBags on Monday. ;)

10. hsl macrumors regular

Same here,.. I always use a sleeve and a backpack (or another bag)

11. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Which sleeve did you go for?

12. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm planning on getting the Waterfield SleeveCase by SFBags or the Booq Viper Hardcase for the 13.3" MBA. The SleeveCase is $61 shipped but is supposed to be an amazing case in terms of protection and quality, while the Booq Viper Hardcase is $58 shipped and can hold the power adapter/cables and the MBA, while still keeping the MBA secure.

I think I'm going to go for the Booq Viper as it's cheaper and has more features.

13. namtaB macrumors regular

I just got the Waterfield case for the MBA and its phenomenal. Nothing else comes close. Its a great quality product.

14. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

Another thing about the Waterfield SleeveCase is that it is TSA Friendly, while the Booq Viper isn't... another deciding factor before I make my purchase

15. rkheyfets macrumors regular

16. SR71 thread starter macrumors 68000

How're you liking it? How is the protection? How does the MBA + power adapter/cables fit in it? Do they push against eachother at all?

17. rkheyfets macrumors regular

It was backordered and i am getting it this week so if you wanna hold on i can def answer all those questions and post pictures once i receive it.

18. namtaB macrumors regular

I'm impressed enough with their SleeveCase that I'm seriously thinking of picking up their cargo bag.

19. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I too ordered the Booq Vyper (11") at the beginning of February but I'm allegedly still backordered until 3/23. Damn.

20. hsl macrumors regular

Have you also seen the http://jolioriginals.com sleeves?
    Have mine for months now, and it still rocks, a lot better than the neoprene sleeves I used with my previous laptops.

[​IMG]

:)

21. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I wish they'd make them for the 13" MBA's. I really like these! I got a Radtech sleeve that's pretty nice. Very thin and, it was a pretty tight fit at first but it's getting better after a couple days use.

22. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

What happens if you pick up the sleeve with the opening down, will the MBA fall out ?

23. hsl, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

hsl macrumors regular

No, it's really tight, so it doesn't fall out :)

You should check her twitter,.. @jolioriginals She's going to make the 13" ones really soon,..

http://twitter.com/JoliOriginals/status/42622628980211712

24. ceiph macrumors regular

the sfbags sleevecase is AMAZING just a heads up

25. keviikev macrumors member