Do I really need an external adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by darkloki, Dec 3, 2015.

1. darkloki macrumors member

Hi everyone, I'm kind of an Apple Fanatic, hopefully I don't get crucified for being one here, lol. I own a 27" imac, three 15" Macbook Pro Retinas, Ipad 3, Ipad Air 1, Ipad Air 2, and a Iphone 6s Plus.

I share these products with my parents, as we pretty much have an apple household. Now I've just acquired a 12" Macbook because I myself prefer OSX over iOS because I'm a developer myself. Anyways the only reason why I gave you the whole run down of all the products I own is to show/demonstrate that I feel as if I don't really need the External Adapter on my 12inch Macbook because again this just more or less serving as a more 'powerul' ipad for me.

So finally, (Sorry for the delay) on getting to my question, Do I really need to get the USB C to HDMI, USB, and SD Reader for my new Macbook? Or could I just get away with using my network within my home to migrate files? I was thinking about spending the potential 80 dollars required for that adapter on getting Apple TV, should I need to share my display. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

2. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

Depends on how fast and reliable your home network is, how big the files are that you need to move around and how often you need to do it. I recently upgraded my home internet to fibre optic and with it came a brand new router that seems to be way faster and has much better range than what I had before. At work it's also just as good. So in my case it's been pretty painless to throw things around via wifi, even when copying reasonably large batches of files around (above the 10GB range for example). If I were to be transferring terabytes around the place, in that case I might prefer to get the faster speed of USB 3 happening, but then again the rMB doesn't have anywhere near this storage space onboard so that kind of task just doesn't come up. It does for my workstation machines, but in that case we're using thunderbolt 2.

I bought the simple USB-C to regular USB adaptor just so as to eliminate any embarrassing situations where a physical connection is the only option. It lives in the sleeve I put the rMB in whenever I take it out so I'm never without it. Didn't get the more expensive adaptor because I have no desire to ever connect my rMB to an external display, that's the kind of thing I do with my other machines.

3. darkloki thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response so I guess I should state what I was thinking about buying and get feedback directly on what that purchase is. I was thinking of getting a USB-C/USB Flash Key of 32gb and Apple TV. I felt that as long as I have these two devices I should be fine because again between Bluetooth and Wifi I felt that I could handle almost if not everything.

This Macbook by no means will be my primary computer as I absolutely love my Macbook Pro Retina (GT 750M) my favorite system of all time to date. But because that system is rather bulky to carry around I like to use my Macbook as an Ipad when I need to be more mobile. I don't think I'll ever move files over 1gb, I got a voucher from staples for $50 because they screwed up on an Ipad Sale for me last week so my intentions were using that to purchase the Flashkey.

Thanks.

4. tbirdparis macrumors 6502

I don't see how having a 32GB key that can connect to USB C and regular USB would be a bad thing to have around. I'm sure there would always be times when it could come in handy, so since you don't exactly need to remortgage the house to get one I'd say why not.

5. brentsg macrumors 68040

I initially just bought the $19 adapter, but then I realized I can't even complete a CCC backup without running out of battery. I suppose I could also do that to a network drive, but I needed to backup to a USB drive.