iPad Do I really need an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sim0n, Jun 20, 2013.

1. sim0n macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5 and a laptop and was recently going to purchase an iPad however money is tight at the moment as I'm a poor student. I really would love an iPad but after realistically thinking about this I do wonder what use would get out of an iPad that I can't get from my iPhone 5 or laptop? :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only you can determine if you have a legitimate need for the iPad that justifies its purchase to your satisfaction. No one else can answer that for you.

3. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

If you want my opinion no. You can do everything an ipad can do on your phone and computer in all honesty. An ipad offers convenience and maybe a better gaming platform versus the iphone.

I got an ipad mini via work. I have my own iphone and my own mac book pro and I wouldn't buy one with my own money. Most other people I talk to who have an ipad and a phone and computer have told me that they don't really need an iPad.

If money is an issue don't buy one.

4. torana355 macrumors 68020

Everyone is different, personally i prefer my MBA over a Tablet, i have a Nexus 7 and an iPad 2 that basically never get used. I like the iMac - MBA - Nexus 4 combo. Tablets just don't do it for me.

5. sim0n thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys I did have my heart set on one but suppose it isn't really necessary, these are the type of answers I was looking for to make myself feel better haha :p

6. bijanorama macrumors member

The iPad is a great media consumption device; the touch interface isn't great for doing work. I've written a couple of college papers on it, and it wasn't an experience I'd recommend. I did find myself reading much more (lying in bed) as it's great for PDFs and online browsing.

If you're poor, stick with a laptop which is good for consuming and producing, whereas the ipad is only good for consuming.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

For me its situational. I'm a musician. I use my MacBook Pro in my home studio for music production. I have a Galaxy S3 as my phone, portable computer, and gaming device. For music composition, I needed a portable solution to bring to my day job. When I have downtime at work the iPad mini serves as a nice little inconspicuous musical sketchpad. My Android phone is worthless for my musical needs and my MacBook Pro is just too big and obvious device.

If I didn't have that particular need, I really couldn't truly justify any need for having it. And I use the word need lightly here of course.

So like most have already said, it's really up to you and your usage whether an iPad has a place or not.

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

iPad's are luxury items unless their required for work or school. And 9 out of 10 if your company/school is big enough they will give you one. I rank computers and iPhones above iPad's if your a working adult.

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Vice versa, you can do everything you do on an iPhone, except for placing calls, on an iPad. But A) it's hard to carry an iPad around all day and B) you'd miss your apps on the go if you were going with an iPad and something inexpensive just to make calls.

So no, you don't need both, but yes, you kinda do need both. Except if you use a cellular-enabled iPad Mini that's easier to carry, and and make your calls via VoIP with EarPods. Might also be less expensive over two years than an iPhone on a contract where money is an issue, because you don't feed the 97% profit-margin carrier trolls.

10. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

If you have to question whether you need it or not, that generally means that you don't need it.

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

No you don't NEED an iPad. It's not a basic necessity.

12. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

no one really needed an Ipad really. Its just a device to fulfill your want.

Since u can do almost everything better on a laptop. beside gaming which i would still consider ipad to be good at casual game only. U can't really do much with the touch control.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

14. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

if you really like one get an older on eBay. its a nice device.

15. SurferPup macrumors member

SurferPup

Just Do It!!

Yes - you do need an iPad mini. Why? I love my MacBook Pro but when it comes to portability nothing beats the iPad mini for day trips and cafe stops. iPhone is okay for using at work but at other times too small. iPad mini can be quickly tethered to my iPhone and set up to do must stuff that I do on my laptop. Easier to walk around house with an iPad mini.

16. sim0n thread starter macrumors member

Yeah very true! it is probably only good for consuming which can be done with a laptop anyway

I agree no one "needs" an iPad and after having a think I have decided not to buy one as I would rather spend my money on a lads holiday than another device when there is nothing wrong with my laptop or iPhone, thanksss

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

poor student? don't bother buying an iPad. you already have an iPhone and laptop. Use your money for your date. :apple:

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Of course you need an iPad. The question you need to be asking is "Do my parents really need to eat every day?"

19. .Asa macrumors regular

YES!!! you NEED an iPad, you'll die if you don't get one within the next week. It's one of the basic essentials of life! One does not simply live without an iPad!!

20. takeshi74 macrumors 601

We can't tell you -- especially when you don't provide any information. If you have to ask, probably not.

21. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I have used an iPad for over the last 2 years. I use it more than my laptop and my desktop.

I used to use my laptop all the time to web surf and watch tv shows online. Some email, shopping, etc... I bought an iPad 2 and then later an iPad 3, currently using an iPad mini 16GB to type this and I will say that I love my iPads. Love their size, weight, battery life, versatility, etc...

I use them all the time. Only time I switch to my laptop is for school work that I can't do on my iPad. The only time I use my desktop (Apple Mac Mini late 2012 model maxed out) is for a media server doe the ret of the house (ATV3s, iPads, iPhones). I use it occasionally for other things and schoolwork but it pretty much stays upstairs out of the way.

If you want one, and money is tight get a refurbished iPad mini 16GB for $279. Pretty much what I did. If you don't like it, return it

22. daiichi macrumors member

I've been thinking about getting an iPad mini just to take some of the stress off of me constantly using my iPhone 5. It's a side entertainment device for me. My couch PC, my phonebook, my reference. If I need to look up cheat codes or find out information on the fly.

23. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

What a mess of a question.

You're poor and asking if you need a luxury device?

Money is tight but you have an iPhone 5 AND a laptop and are still considering an iPad?

And you don't even know why you want one?

24. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Latest in the long line of "why do i need an ipad" threads. Its saddening--someone asking "why do i need to buy thiis?" suggests such a lack of imagination, bordering on psychic stasis. Like most consumers, I saw the ipad on the web or on tv, looked at the app store, envisioned possible uses and made a decision. Good luck.