Do I really need an upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamtj11, Jul 16, 2011.

1. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

okay so i have 2010 13 inch macbook pro and while the warranty runs out next month, I can get a good deal on apple care (135 euro) my only problem is I'm slightly worried about being stuck with a Core 2 Duo model. Is it really as bad as people are making it out to be on this site? I was all for upgrading to 2011 MBP but recently even with Xcode, iTunes, Garageband, iPhoto, Safari, some small games and that my Macbook Pro was quite happy at performing all that stuff , I'm starting to wonder if the i5 would even make a noticeable difference to me? Maybe I would be better getting a SSD inside my current MBP ? Is the i5 for my needs really worth it? I'm not a photo editor or anything, only Pro work i do is developing in Xcode and building websites. Thanks for reading this :)

Attached Files:

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Does it suffice your needs? If so, then dont upgrade till 2012. I would upgrade to 8GB ram and SSD and call it a day. The SSD will make things A LOT FASTER!

3. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well yeah i mean i really don't do much high intensive processor stuff just the fear of being left behind in technology is worrying a bit, i assume the resale value next year would still be quite good?, especially with apple care?

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Core 2 Duo is not bad at all by any means, a dual-core i5 or i7 is just better, and likewise a processor with more cores is even more so.

5. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Hang on to what you have if it is working good for you now, I figured out you can go broke trying to keep up with every update that Apple comes out with.

6. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

The Core 2 Duo is a dual core processor. The i5 and i7s are better but unless your doing video encoding/decoding or other processor intensive work then you will notice a much bigger increase by putting an SSD in your computer.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I know it's a dual-core....

I'm saying that a Core 2 Duo processor is not a bad processor, just that more recent dual-core processors or a processor with more cores than two is better.

8. kart macrumors regular

I had both, 2010 13" and 2011 13". Both base models.
    To be honest, I thought, through the way everyone was talking it up, the i5 would have been a massive upgrade. For the simple things, like web browsing, word, pages, youtube, mail and all those kinds of things, the jump to the i5 (in my opinion) didnt do anything "spectacular." However, using CS4 programs, I did notice a small speed difference.
    Depending on your use, but a 8gb RAM and SSD upgrade, would see your 2010 a mile in front (speed) then the new 2011's.
    Remember, the i5 is only dual core also.
    Good luck in your decision making !

9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

The 13" MBP from 2010 was not that much worse then the 2011 13" The NVIDIA GPU + C2D combination almost made up for the lacking of an iX series chip. Not really arguing but in the OPs case a SSD would be a greater upgrade, I think your just overstating the power of the lower end i5s

10. DropKick macrumors member

if you have to ask, you probably don't need an upgrade. I think you'll know when you need to upgrade when your computer starts running slow or becomes an inconvenience. I think C2Ds are good for the next couple of years... there's always going to be a bigger and better processor around the corner, if you keep chasing technology you WILL be broke :D

11. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I recently came to the conclusion I don't even need an upgrade on my 4 year old machine...and I do a fair amount of photoshop and edit video in iMovie twice a month. Wait until it's painful...should be quite a while if you don't game. Jmo.

12. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an Xbox 360 for gaming so I don't game on the Macbook Pro at all. I think the 3 year apple care should be good then , and at worst I can sell and upgrade with apple care during then and if not then in 3 years time ill be happy for an upgrade! Thanks :D

13. lomby macrumors regular

I completely agree with you 100% :)

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I'm not talking about processor/GPU combinations or SSDs.

I'm stating that processors with more cores than a Core 2 Duo (X3, quad-core/X4, X6, etc) as well as newer dual-core processors (i5, i7) are better in sole terms of the processor, but that does not make the Core 2 Duo a bad processor by any means. It's just old technology. I'm not even stating any sort of power in reference to a lower end i5 other than it outperforms a Core 2 Duo at similar clock speeds. Whether it is a noticeable difference to this specific user with his/her specific usage and if an SSD will be a better upgrade in noticing that difference is a different story and had nothing to do with my post.

The OP asked the question, "is it as bad as people are making it out to be on this site?" in reference to a Core 2 Duo Processor and the answer to that is "no" in my opinion.

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

No. You have to realize where you are, first and foremost. You're on a Mac site. Most of the people here are middle class or up and can afford to upgrade and just have the newest and best laptops/desktops when they come out. OF course they're going to tell you to upgrade, why not?

If your machine does everything you want it to do, then don't upgrade. Use it. I'd say to buy Apple Care while you still can and use the machine for at least another 2 years. Apple rates their batteries at having at least 80 percent charge after 1000 charges. That's roughly 3 years.

3 years after you buy a machine, you should still get great battery life from it. That should tell you something. No I'm not against upgrading at all; I'm personally going from an upbraded 07 macbook to either a MBP/MBA in a week or so. However, I'm doing this because, as a college student and someone who likes to always be mobile, I want the longest battery life possible, and I can get that with a MBP.

I would also love to do a little bit of light gaming on the side and you can't do any of that with last generation's MBs.

If you can do what you want, keep it. If you can sell it and upgrade however, and you want to do that, do it. Whatever makes you happy. You just have to know when it's really WORTH doing it.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Good post and a lot of good sense written and advice offered.

To the OP, in addition to what has been written here, I'd strongly advise that you get Applecare, irrespective of what else you do. I have always had it, and it saves you a lot of money in the event of anything going wrong. It'll give you an extra two years peace of mind, and security, should you decide to keep your computer. If you decide to sell it, having Applecare is a big plus in the second hand market.

Re the upgrade or not, if you need a new computer, and your current one no longer fully satisfies what you need it to do, then invest in an upgrade. If you merely want a computer, well, then, I'd suggest that you wait and see what the next upgrade/update will bring.

Cheers

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

i do a little bit more intense work on the mbp, so i appreciate the cpu and 8gb of ram, but to be honest, none of my colleagues with older models have complained. they seem to get along very well, and if i had your computer, i'd probably stick with it for at least another year or so to make it a good investment.

personally, i wouldn't upgrade until you start to get annoyed. at least, that is my rule.

when i feel like i am trying to do a task, and the computer is just taking too long for me, then it's no fun anymore, and it is time to move on. this doesn't usually happen for a year or two, because it takes a while for software manufacturers to add enough bloat into their products to ruin my experience :)

18. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

ew. :\

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Good call mate. Keep the machine and treat yourself to a new device or camera or somethig less spendy.