Do I really need Firewire?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheMotif, Dec 28, 2008.

1. TheMotif macrumors member

In the face of discount, is the connection really necessary? I am about to go pick up a 500GB USB external hard drive at Target for $77.75. Will I be completely dissatisfied while I am backing up my data without Firewire?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If it is usb 2.0, it's not a huge difference. There have been threads saying usb 2.0 can be better than firewire or at least equal. An advantage of USB will be if you buy a newer MacBook without firewire you can still use thed riv.

3. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Firewire has better sustained transfer rates. If you're recording and need to playback/record many audio tracks at the same time, you want Firewire over USB 2.0.

Backing up files however...it'll take a bit longer, but it's really not that bad.

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Maybe I'm impatient but I'd never use USB2 for backing up my stuff because it takes far too long and it annoys me.

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I haven't run into any problems without firewire. USB2 works just fine for me.

6. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

IMO, if it's just for back-up, it should be fine. If you're going to be editing audio/video that's stored there, then you'd be better off with a FW 800 drive.