Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Hey guys, I've been looking a the MBPs and Airs, and I'm wondering if I will really need a 2011 Mac for my needs, or if Ishould save a couple hundred and get a PC. My needs include : Surfing, watching HD video, Skype / Oovoo, iMovie, and word processing, possibly some gaming as well. Now, my question is, should I spend the 1,100 bucks on a new 2011 base MBP or Air, or grab a refurb , or get a PC? ( I am very interested in OSX and iMovie )

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
While a PC would suit your needs just fine, and be a whole lot cheaper to boot... you'll only get the experience of OSX and iMovie on a Mac. A refurb would be the best way to go if you don't want to drop the cash on a newbie.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
Yes, if you would like to enjoy using the computers

As I see it, a PC satisfies all your needs. However, if you want to enjoy using the computers in addition to getting things done on them, I would like to recommend an MBP or an Air. I use both PCs and Macs in my work. I have found that the work was more enjoyable when I used a Mac to get it done and the same work looks boring when it was done on a PC. This feeling is partly due to the different displays used on PCs and Macs. I guess the use of a good quality display on a PC might make the PC more pleasing. To save money, a PC with a good display might be a good choice.

Sam235

macrumors member
May 29, 2011
CA
Hey guys, I've been looking a the MBPs and Airs, and I'm wondering if I will really need a 2011 Mac for my needs, or if Ishould save a couple hundred and get a PC. My needs include : Surfing, watching HD video, Skype / Oovoo, iMovie, and word processing, possibly some gaming as well. Now, my question is, should I spend the 1,100 bucks on a new 2011 base MBP or Air, or grab a refurb , or get a PC? ( I am very interested in OSX and iMovie )

many will tell u that a pc is more than enough, imo if u have money to spare get the macbook, u wont regret it

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
buy a refurb or head to ebay and search for a computer that still has applecare. imacs are also a good idea if your computer doesn't need to be portable since you can get the same specs for a lot cheaper.

But really, since you don't need the latest and greatest, find a used version. You don't even need one with applecare, I've never had it beyond the free first year...

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
I was thinkin about the 13'' 2010 MBA, especially since it's price will be dropping. I will be waiting for the 13" 128gb price to drop, or a 2010 MBP.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.