Do I really need JB to remove AT&T and switch to different phone carrier?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by deafanimator, Jun 24, 2010.

1. deafanimator macrumors member

I have a two years old iPhone G3 which I just upgrade iPhone4. AT&T turn off activity 3G and switch over new activity new iPhone4. I want to give my old G3 to my son which I can afford the different cell phone carrier than very expensive AT&T carrier.

My question is do I really have to do JB to remove the AT&T information in this 3G? The guy at store said that I have to remove information of AT&T first. He suggest do the JB.

Will iTune work this way with JB? Can it be update the operating system 4.0 and other apps with iTune update or download pay or free apps and etc.?

Any body please explain how this work or instruction and save me the trouble at end. I appreciated your big help and feedback.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You need to jailbreak and unlock. You can not use it with another carrier otherwise.
    You will still be able to sync and backup. However, you will have to wait to update iTunes and the software updates for iPhone until the coast is clear.
    There are plenty of instructions on iclarified on how to j/b and unlock your phone. You should read these and come back with any clarifying questions.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Assuming your phone is an iPhone 3G (not a 3GS), you can upgrade to 4.0 then jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.5 and unlock with ultrasn0w. I suggest using a tutorial from iClarified.com.

4. deafanimator thread starter macrumors member

Failed to enter DFU Mode

I did follow the instruction and i almost compete progcess but the DFU fail Mode.. I can not do it.. help

But it says Waiting for Activation.. this may takes some time...on front home page.... what does it really meant?

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It sounds as though you didn't finish the jailbreak. If that's the case, you'll need to start over.
    You need to follow the instructions when it comes to putting the phone into DFU. If you don't, you won't be able to jailbreak your phone.